1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

firstly this is the car i own.

E320 CDI (W211)

From yesterday i was having problems, A message came up on the cluster, Battery protection i think.

Today i replaced the main and aux battery.

Went out for a drive to check the voltage and this is what i got

Start of journey was 12.1v by the end it was 11.7v
Turned engine off 12.0v

Ignition 1 11.9v

ignition 2 11.9v

Cranking 9.6v

Running 12.4v

And then the red BATTERY visit workshop appeared which it didnt before i changed the battery.

Any thoughts?

Thanks dan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How can I test the alternator? Could it also be the battery control unit or a relay?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just had another look at the voltage, it's 12.1v on ignition 2 and drops to 11.9v when running

·
Registered
W219 320CDI -07 W220 320CDI -01 W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
1,222 Posts
Controller unit is hard to test, and it could also be worn brushes etc... but things you can check out are trigger current (I'm not sure about the right word here :eek: ), and proper grounding of the alternator (give extra wire to the body of the alternator, if possible).

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,135 Posts
Every time I hear about a battery problem and people want to check the BCM It is not the problem. In very clear wording in WIS and a couple of other sources like Alldata and Mitchell it states a failed BCM will not prevent charging of a battery.
So if the grounding does not work, the voltage regulator or the alternator will need to be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,135 Posts
If you do rplace the battery, keep in mind the main battery and the aux battery are
AGM batteries. I would not get one from a big box or chain store.
The Remy or the OEM MB battery is the way to go. Remy sells the Deka line and
they are very good batteries.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have already replaced both batteries 3 days ago, I checked the voltage again this morning and, with the engine running it showed 13.7v but within a minute it dropped to 12.3

·
Registered
2006 E350 4 door W211, 2004 Acura RSX
108 Posts
go to an indy and have him use MBENZ Star to test alternator and if it is have him change it... Dont go to the steallership. You have to take all kind of stuff under the hood to replace the alternator. Just my 2 cents...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts