Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys..I've been reading some threads about the seat module draining the battery but I wanted to post my problem and see if you guys could help out.

Last Saturday I tried starting my car but battery was dead, hooked it up to my dad's hemi and it started instantly. Sunday afternoon, battery is dead again. I repeat the process and shortly after getting on the road I notice my car wont shift out of first or let me do it manually. Any ideas there?

I also noticed, early last week, that I was having random warning for different bulbs going out and even my ESP warning came on 2 times. There was no real pattern, sometimes I would have 5 warnings, then 20 minutes later I wouldn't have any.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
First, update your profile, we don't know where you are or what car you drive. The problem with the seat module affected 2001-2002 C320's, is that what you have? What's the voltage at the battery with the car off? What's the voltage with the car running and rev'ed up a little? How old is the battery? How old are you? How old is the car? It's common in modern cars to have weird electrical stuff hapening when you have low voltage.

If you want the easy answer, call the phone number on the inside of the glove box door. They will come to your house, diagnose it, replace the battery for free if that's the problem (you pay battery, install is free) and give you a boost if it's the alternator so you can bring it in for repairs. Alternator at the dealer is easily a $1,000+ job, DIY is about $200 and an independant would probably charge you $300-350. Battery runs about $125, labor free with MB roadside assistance.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
here is how you can rule out the alternator:
jump start your car, and unplug the battery...if the car runs then alternator is good, if it dies then your alternator is shot

Here is how to rule out bad battery:
test the battery to see if it holds the charge (autozone will do it for free)..self explanatory here

Here is how to rule out the seat module:
if the battery holds a charge then unplug both seat modules, leave it off for 24 hours and see if the car starts...if it does then the module pass or dr or both are gone....see the 5 dollar module fix topic or get new modules

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts