Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
E220 Estate 1996
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the typical life of a battery ?

Mine is a 1996 car with its original battery - and is showing signs of not holding its charge when the car is left standing

·
Registered
Chevy Monte Carlo SS
189 Posts
Batteries last at little as 2 years, in extreme climates. They usually give out at about 4 years. I really think you need to replace that battery.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I've gotten as much as 8 years from a standard battery. I'm slowly switching the fleet to Optima's. My thought is when your battery doesn't work you'll wish you had bought a better one so why not buy the best.

I've had cars sit for 4-5 months and fire Right up w/ an Optima. They are also nice as if you let them run flat it won't severley cut the overall life of the battery as would happen w/ a standard lead/acid.

Jonathan

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
Nine years is great! I remember when you could expect only 4 years. In my experience, when they go, they go quickly. Replace it this weekend.

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,730 Posts
From my experience, it's pretty much based on sheer good luck. I've replaced many a battery in the cars I've driven, and some of them, bought brand new, lasted as little as six months, while other identical samples lasted for years. I agree with Mike on that conventional batteries usually crap out after four years, for that's consistent with my experience.

Shady

·
Registered
E320 wagon
953 Posts
I would agree with 2 -4 years, once charged the least amount of current to keep it charged. Those headlights on all those cold nights and charge it a full alternator output are hard on the battery. I change batteries at first weak start / rapid loss of cranking speed, most auto parts shops do free load tests of battery and charging system , in 5 minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts