Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been seeing my battery die out slowly over the last month or so...the usual thing being that it would give trouble starting up...especially after a day or standing around.

the last few days, its been going out on me when i stop at a light. this was emphasised at night more than the daytime.

i showed it to the benz dealer, and he said that as the battery was not providing full power to the electronics during driving (and specially not when the a/c and lights were on), hence the fuel injection system was cutting out and causing it to stall.

today, the car died at a traffic light (in the daytime), and died COMPLETELY. just wouldnt' start.

so i had it jumpstarted....and it started up w/o problems.

i than left it standing for afew hours, and came back and it started again.

what is going on here?????

i realize the battery is weak, but can it affect the car in such a manner when its running?

i was also told that its possible that some moving part in the generator has worn out, and its not charging the battery as it should while the car is running...whats this about?

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
You'd have to have your Altanator checked for proper voltage before you assume your battery is bad. A 12 volt system, which is in your car should put out at least 13.5 to 14 volts ( to help charge the battery ). If your charging system is putting out any less, the battery makes up the diffrance, thus discharging your battery. Just run a volt meter on the battery termanals to see what your altanator is putting out. If your altanator is on the money ( working ) replace the battery, if it isn't check for any shorts in the charging system. If none are found, replace the altanator and battery.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok. just had the battery changed. everything work just dandy now. guess it was the battery....but i'm going to have the alternator checked tomorrow.

thanks.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,689 Posts
I had the same problem, althou my car didnt die like your did, it simply wouldnt start even if i just drove it for 20min. I had the voltage regulator replaced thinking it was that, $60 parts+labor not bad, then about a week or 2 later it did the same so i took it to my mb mechanic and he checked the battery and it was indeed the battter (under 12mo. old too) so it was replaced and its fine now.

Cheers

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
That's why I said to check the volts comming out of the alt. Somtimes batterys do just go bad. But Always check the the Voltage output from your alt before assuming it's only the battery. To many time's I've towed people to the shop because they only changed their batterys without checking their altanators.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts