Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The battery on my 01 c320 is bad and must be changed. I read that some people that changed their batteries themselves had electrical issues after.

1. What is a reasonable price for the c320 battery? Cheapest i can get is $100 or so.

2. Should i change the battery myself? If so what is the correct procedure.

3. Should i just call the RSA and let them do it?

Thank You.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
I had RSA (i.e. Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assist) replace mine a few months back. The tech came to me at my office, tested the battery and found it was bad, then replaced it with a new MBZ part for about $160, which comes with a 2-year full replacement warranty. IMHO, that is the best way to go. It might cost more than an aftermarket battery, but I know I'm getting the right part and the tech resynchronized the windows, sunroof, and ESP. Thesevare thugs I can do myself, but it saved me the trouble.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.

I called the RSA, and a guy came within 30 min. and changed the battery for $150. Very satisfied with the high level of service!

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
Not a bad deal, but yes the battery is an easy DIY job. It's hard to get around the special tools required around 50, and an all important diamond/gold plating... Just because it's a Mercedes doesn't mean it's rocket science!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I know that changing the battery on many cars is an easy DIY, but I just got scared reading all the posts which stated that when one changes the battery some electrical problems come up- SRS, window, radio...ect. error messages come up. I just wanted to fix one problem w/o creating MANY other problems.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I know that changing the battery on many cars is an easy DIY, but I just got scared reading all the posts that stated that when one changes the battery some electrical problems come up- SRS, window, radio...ect. error messages come up. I just wanted to fix one problem w/o creating MANY other problems.
A good rule of thumb is to never take on a task about which you're unsure.

Not only will you live longer, it sometimes proves cheaper in the long run.

MB will come out and install the battery (charging only for the battery, no labor), run the resets, and you're good to go. They'll also take the old one away.

You're talking about saving roughly fifty bucks, true? The other post is correct: this isn't rocket science. But you'll probably spend close to an hour changing it and going through all of the resets, assuming all goes as planned. One way is 100% certain, the other -- at least the way I'm reading your posts -- is less than that. Only you can make the call.

But if you have the proper tools, your radio code and the manual handy, you can proceed carefully. Just be sure the key stays in your pocket the entire time (in the ignition...oh, will that be an expensive day) and remember the car is negative ground. So you start and end with the negative cable.

That said, the worst thing you can do is take the car to the dealer and ask them to change it. They will charge you for the battery, as well as labor and their generic shop charge. That could easily total $250, which is a lot for a cup of coffee and a car wash. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts