Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '91 300E 2.6 has a new problem. I can't keep the battery charged. It is not a daily driver but I try to start it every couple of days. It will go dead overnight somtimes. I replaced the battery thinking that it was bad and not holding the charge but the brand new battery is going dead also. does anyone have any Ideas? what could be running it down? I don't think the clock that is on the dash would run it down overnight. :confused:

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Trouble shooting electrical problems is a pain. Your right though the clock will not drain the battery overnight. Check the radio make sure its not on, check dome lights, lighter, ck ground wires on battery for corrosion or loose. Not sure what else to check for, thats were i would start.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Get a multimeter, turn off the car, hook it up to the battery by disconnecting one of the battery cables and putting the multimeter in series between the cable and the battery, and see if the car is drawing any amps with the car off. Anything above 30 miliamps is a problem.
You can start to pop fuses until it comes down to 20 mA or less then you would have narrowed the problem down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts