Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I would like to say hello to everyone as I am a Benzworld Newby. Last week I took out my interior to do some custom work, the next day I tried to start the car and my battery was totally dead (wouldn't even unlock the steering wheel) due to my lighted door sills. I charged it and everything seemed fine until the next morning the battery was dead again so i figured the battery was destroyed but just for kicks I tested the current draw and there is a 1.31 amp draw on the battery. I pulled fuses while watching the meter and there where no big changes in the amp draw. I called my dealer and the service advisor said that more than likely it was the "rear SAM" unit. Anybody else every have this problem?
Oh yeah I guess my car info would be a good thing to add, it's an 01 C320, Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2001 C320
2 Posts
Similar thing happened to me on my 2001 C320. Battery went dead. Replaced with new battery. Three weeks later, battery dead again. Second new battery wouldn't start car. lights worked but no start. Took to independant Mercedes mechanic. He got it started but turn signals, wipers and fuel gage wouldn't work. (I had sme problem the first time but found that key had to be in ingnition when negitive terminal of battery is connected, although this didn't help the second time I replaced the battery. He then took it to the Mercedes Dealer. They claim the "SAM" unit was bad and replaced it. ($700.00) (I wonder?) Two days after I get the car back, battery dead. Independant mechanic said it was the battery again and put in "his" brand (Interstate) Says that's the only battery for a Mercedes. Two auto parts stores checked my Autolite battrery and said it was fine...go figure. Took car it to dealer. Now they claim the ignition switch is bad and had to order new one from Germany. Cars been there for almost three weeks! I think I'm getting screwed somewhere. No wonder Mercedes is losing customers...their fricking cars are to complicated to work on! Did you get yours fixed?

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
Russell J - 2/17/2005 1:00 PM

Similar thing happened to me on my 2001 C320. Battery went dead. Replaced with new battery. Three weeks later, battery dead again. Second new battery wouldn't start car. lights worked but no start. Took to independant Mercedes mechanic. He got it started but turn signals, wipers and fuel gage wouldn't work. (I had sme problem the first time but found that key had to be in ingnition when negitive terminal of battery is connected, although this didn't help the second time I replaced the battery. He then took it to the Mercedes Dealer. They claim the "SAM" unit was bad and replaced it. ($700.00) (I wonder?) Two days after I get the car back, battery dead. Independant mechanic said it was the battery again and put in "his" brand (Interstate) Says that's the only battery for a Mercedes. Two auto parts stores checked my Autolite battrery and said it was fine...go figure. Took car it to dealer. Now they claim the ignition switch is bad and had to order new one from Germany. Cars been there for almost three weeks! I think I'm getting screwed somewhere. No wonder Mercedes is losing customers...their fricking cars are to complicated to work on! Did you get yours fixed?
Whoever told you the KEY MUST be in the ignition when the battery is connected must really hate you. It is one of the best ways to blow the SAM and the ignition switch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts