Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet
28 Posts
My battery died. Not unexpected, as I purchased it in December 2013. It is a Mercedes Benz brand and the tag on it reads 12V 100AH 760. Assume this means 12 volt, 100 Amp-Hours (AH), 760 Cold Crank Amps (CCA).

I currently live a far distance from a MB dealer so I am looking to other sources for a battery. My local independent mechanic told me I need a battery that is Group Size 49 or H8 with 100 AH and 850 - 950 CCA.

Problem is, when I locate batteries with these characteristics online at auto merchants like Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, and O-Reilly Auto Parts, I am told they will not fit my vehicle type (1995 Mercedes E320). Instead, the various sites recommend alternate batteries that are either Group Size 46, or in one case, a Group Size 48, battery. Not what my mechanic told me I need.

Finally, there is the question of physical size. My current MB battery is approximately 7"H x 7"W x 13.5"L. Most of the batteries I've seen online don't have their dimensions listed.

Bottom line - I'm confused. Can anyone recommend a battery -- by Brand and Model -- that meets the electrical requirements and the physical requirements of my 1995 E320 Cabriolet?

The weather is top-down beautiful right now and I need to get the beast back on the road.

Thank you and kind regards,
Have a ‘95 cabriolet. They had a perfect fit battery for it at Autozone. I keep the car at my house in Maine and it sometimes doesn’t get started for a month. Always fires right up. No special battery needed for these cars..don’t let anyone tell you otherwise

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,920 Posts
Forget Autozone and WallyMart. Their batteries are junk. Brick and mortar stores carry nothing for these cars except windshield washer fluid.

Just order a battery online, like this one from Amazon. One of our fellow members says these are excellent quality.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,851 Posts
Just order a battery online, like this one from Amazon. One of our fellow members says these are excellent quality.

Our local Winchester Auto Parts stocks Deka and Intimidators. I put a pair of Deka group 65 750cca in my F250 7.3 diesel. I've also used a few "Duracell" and "Rayovac" Deka-made G48's from Batteries Plus too, both on my 124's and my Volvo 240/740s before that (same sizes).

When I got my Cabrio, the battery in it was a AAA branded Deka G48 with the specs of Deka's premium line. it worked for years. I was having electrical problems and drained it flat a few too many times, so after I got those sorted, I got a new Deka Gold G48.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,851 Posts
Costco batteries are junk too, they are the cheapest grade of Johnson, branded as Costco by Interstate.

they work adequately for awhile, I have a pair of their GC2 6V 210AH in my camper.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet
28 Posts
Forget Autozone and WallyMart. Their batteries are junk. Brick and mortar stores carry nothing for these cars except windshield washer fluid.

Not my experience. Always gotten at least the warranty and more from Autozone batteries, for my Mercedes, my Toyota Land Cruiser and my Lexus. Never had any longer service from Interstates or more expensive batteries. Sorry for your bad luck.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,120 Posts

Horrible advice to buy a battery from online for anyone who doesn't live in BFE. TF you gonna do in the event it takes a shit and you need to claim on the warranty? Send it back?

·
Registered
16,920 Posts
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. Read for yourself (link below starting at post #3). As I've stated before, a battery is only as good as the purity of the lead content they use. I just had a orginal MB battery made in 2007 still pass with flying colors on my tester and crank perfectly & repeatedly in a R129 SL. Good luck trying that with a battery that shared isle space with a pine tree air freshener.

Happy trails with that Duracrap or WallyMart battery when a cold snap pulls through and you're late for work.

·
Premium Member
2003 G500, 2000 SL500, 1995 E320 Cabriolet, 1980 TR8
1,018 Posts
My 2000 R129 (73K miles) still has the original MB OEM battery from the factory and it is still going strong. Admittedly, the car is only driven in the summer and spends the winter on a trickle charger, but that's still a pretty good life span for a battery.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,120 Posts
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. Read for yourself (link below starting at post #3). As I've stated before, a battery is only as good as the purity of the lead content they use. I just had a orginal MB battery made in 2007 still pass with flying colors on my tester and crank perfectly & repeatedly in a R129 SL. Good luck trying that with a battery that shared isle space with a pine tree air freshener.

Happy trails with that Duracrap or WallyMart battery when a cold snap pulls through and you're late for work.
And likewise I've seen lots of MB branded Vartas failed with 2016-2018 stamped posts.

Of course a battery made of better materials is desirable, but there are no guarantees. If you're late to work because of a failed battery that can be swapped out at a local store you'll taking the bus for a week while you're waiting on your replacement to arrive from Amazon.

·
Registered
W124
4,759 Posts
I used to buy my batteries at the dealership (MB made in Spain) but the cost these days is ridiculous. So I buy Walmart and Sam's club batteries and so far no issues. As with a lot of things in life, more money goes into marketing and advertising than design, R&D, etc.

The real question is why do original batteries last so much longer than replacements? I see original batteries lasting 10-12 years easily and never see replacements going more than half that.

·
Registered
16,920 Posts
...The real question is why do original batteries last so much longer than replacements? I see original batteries lasting 10-12 years easily and never see replacements going more than half that.
As I stated previously, I think the clue lies in the purity of the lead content and construction. Kinda like comparing Guinness and Buttwiper. Yes, they're both beer but that's where the similarities end. One is a tasty quality crafted beverage while the other resembles purified, recycled and reconstituted dishwater.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts