Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery died. Not unexpected, as I purchased it in December 2013. It is a Mercedes Benz brand and the tag on it reads 12V 100AH 760. Assume this means 12 volt, 100 Amp-Hours (AH), 760 Cold Crank Amps (CCA).

I currently live a far distance from a MB dealer so I am looking to other sources for a battery. My local independent mechanic told me I need a battery that is Group Size 49 or H8 with 100 AH and 850 - 950 CCA.

Problem is, when I locate batteries with these characteristics online at auto merchants like Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, and O-Reilly Auto Parts, I am told they will not fit my vehicle type (1995 Mercedes E320). Instead, the various sites recommend alternate batteries that are either Group Size 46, or in one case, a Group Size 48, battery. Not what my mechanic told me I need.

Finally, there is the question of physical size. My current MB battery is approximately 7"H x 7"W x 13.5"L. Most of the batteries I've seen online don't have their dimensions listed.

Bottom line - I'm confused. Can anyone recommend a battery -- by Brand and Model -- that meets the electrical requirements and the physical requirements of my 1995 E320 Cabriolet?

The weather is top-down beautiful right now and I need to get the beast back on the road.

Thank you and kind regards,

·
Registered
95 E300, 91 300TE, 84 190D
772 Posts
I have a group 48 in my Cabriolet. I believe that is what MB originally specified.

I have group 49 batteries in my E300 (factory spec) and in my 91 300TE (not MB spec, but it fit and I wanted the extra CCA). I've been happy with the MB, Bosch, and Interstate batteries.

Some on this board rec the group 49 battery for all 124 vehicles, and I think the battery tray in the Cabriolet is large enough for 48 or 49.

FYI, my 48 measures 10.5" long and my 49 measures 13.5" long. The height and width measurements are the same for both.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,919 Posts
^This X 10. Those 3 brands in a group 49 and you're golden. Oddy enough, I have just come across a genuine MB battery made in 2007 (yes 2007) that is still going strong and still passed my battery tester in very good health. Granted, it was taken from a vehicle that was rarely driven and always put on a smart battery charger when parked.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a group 48 in my Cabriolet. I believe that is what MB originally specified.

I have group 49 batteries in my E300 (factory spec) and in my 91 300TE (not MB spec, but it fit and I wanted the extra CCA). I've been happy with the MB, Bosch, and Interstate batteries.

Some on this board rec the group 49 battery for all 124 vehicles, and I think the battery tray in the Cabriolet is large enough for 48 or 49.

FYI, my 48 measures 10.5" long and my 49 measures 13.5" long. The height and width measurements are the same for both.

Thank you for your response. I went with a DURALAST GOLD H8 (Group Size 49) battery with a CCA of 900 and crank amps of 1000.

Best brand-wise I could do here in Beaufort, SC. Called the MB dealer in Hilton Head and was told it would take 2 - 3 weeks to get a MB battery. The new battery is the same dimensions as the failed MB battery, and the car runs well. On every battery I considered there were mixed reviews. The DURALAST Gold comes with a 5-year warranty (pro-rated after the third year, and per my mechanic's direction it is an H8/Group Size 49. We shall see....

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^This X 10. Those 3 brands in a group 49 and you're golden. Oddy enough, I have just come across a genuine MB battery made in 2007 (yes 2007) that is still going strong and still passed my battery tester in very good health. Granted, it was taken from a vehicle that was rarely driven and always put on a smart battery charger when parked.
Thank you for your response. I went with a DURALAST GOLD H8 (Group Size 49) battery with a CCA of 900 and crank amps of 1000.

Best brand-wise I could do here in Beaufort, SC. Called the MB dealer in Hilton Head and was told it would take 2 - 3 weeks to get a MB battery. The new battery is the same dimensions as the failed MB battery, and the car runs well. On every battery I considered there were mixed reviews. The DURALAST Gold comes with a 5-year warranty (pro-rated after the third year), and it is an H8/Group Size 49 as my mechanic directed. We shall see....

·
Registered
16,919 Posts
I call BS on the "takes 2-3 to get a MB battery". MB dealers stock genuine MB batteries.

Duralast = Duracrap

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well ace, here's the number of Hilton head Mercedes, 866 653-1414. Call, ask for 'Parts' and see what answer you get. Maybe you'll do better.

·
Registered
16,919 Posts
No need to call. You probably got the 2-3 week line because they figured your car took a group48 battery.

The group 49 battery is far more common, such as the newer E class like the W211, W212 or the S class W220, W221, W222

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,119 Posts
Duralast = Duracrap
Do you have anything to substantiate this opinion?

Duralast batteries are fine. They hold charge, start the car, and come with competitive warranties. And should you need to claim on that warranty a VatoZone store usually isn't too far away. The batteries are made by Johnson Controls who make lots of other brands including.... Interstate.

The actual origin of the manufacturing process for Interstate Batteries is vague. The automotive, truck, and marine batteries are made by Johnson Controls which makes 65% of the automotive, truck, and marine batteries sold in the USA. Johnson Controls also makes the batteries for Wal-Mart and AutoZone. From Louisiana to Southern California the Interstate brand batteries are made by a Johnson Controls manufacturing plant in Monterrey, Mexico

·
Registered
16,919 Posts
That's like saying wine is wine, and it's all the same white or red stuff other than the packaging and the price tag.

Batteries do come in different grades, just like wine.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,119 Posts
I'm not saying that at all. But while I don't pretend to know if one is better than the other, the comparable Interstate battery has a 24/60 warranty, and the Duralast Gold has 36/60.

So Johnson Controls produces a lower grade product for AutoZone with a better warrany with all other specs being identical?

·
Registered
16,919 Posts
I think the real question to ask Johnson Controls is which battery gets virgin lead and which gets recycled lead.

Take a look at Varta batteries, also a Johnson Controls company. For conventional older cars, they list at least 3 or more different lines of batteries according to budget, quality, etc. And this excludes the newer types batteries such as the AGM, or those for vehicles with start/stop systems.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,119 Posts
I'm going by the product the OP purchased.

Varta who make the Genuine MB batteries I think has their own production facilities in Europe. I'll check some MB batteries to see if they're made in US, in which case they're very possibly off the same production line as Duralast and Interstate. The warranties on the MB batteries are far worse than either and don't have an exceptional track record.

·
Registered
16,919 Posts
IMO, the best batteries are Yuasa although they also have different lines and priced accordingly.

One of my old motorcycles had a Yuasa battery that managed to last 17 years. Similarly, I've swapped out Yuasa batteries that were end of life after 2 years. It all depends what you get, and how you pay vs. the Autozone way of "one hole, one battery" approach.

Yuasa also makes car batteries, including MBs, but I don't think they are readily available in the US.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,847 Posts
FWIW, I've been using East Penn / Deka batteries in all my vehicles of late, and had quite good results.

124 gasser models came with group 48, the diesels came with group 49, but they fit in the gassers too, are just a little longer... be sure to verify your battery has a vent nipple, and its connected to the vent hose so any acid reflux doesn't rot the battery compartment.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,119 Posts
The MB-branded Varta batteries show Made In Germany on the label, both AGM and flooded.

I recently replaced a good working Duralast AGM dated 2015 with a Varta/MB AGM battery for no other reason than it looks better under the hood and I got it very, very cheap. I didn't buy that Duralast. It was in the car when I bought it, but it would turn the motor quick even having sat unstarted for months. Only other Duralast battery I've owned was also in a car I bought. IIRC, it was dated 2012 and died in 2018, which is fair. And I don't think that one was Gold, just lowest tier. So I'd say my experience with Duralast batteries has been good overall.

·
Registered
2007 CLK350, 1987 420SEL, 1985 300D, 1983 240D 4sp, 1979 300TD my 1st.
4 Posts
Just replaced a 5 year old Duralast Gold group 49 in my 2007 CLK. It lasted an extra two months past 5 year warranty. So no warranty. It is interested to note their best AGM Platinum battery only has 3 year warranty. So I like Autozone and their lifetime warranty on many items.
Had a Mercedes group 49 battery in my 126 that lasted 7 years. It was made by Gould.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,847 Posts
Just happened to walk by the battery rack at my local Costco... Indeed, they have group 48 and 49 "Interstate" costco co-branded batteries, but from the looks and the specs they are the bottom shelf of Interstates.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet
28 Posts
My battery died. Not unexpected, as I purchased it in December 2013. It is a Mercedes Benz brand and the tag on it reads 12V 100AH 760. Assume this means 12 volt, 100 Amp-Hours (AH), 760 Cold Crank Amps (CCA).

I currently live a far distance from a MB dealer so I am looking to other sources for a battery. My local independent mechanic told me I need a battery that is Group Size 49 or H8 with 100 AH and 850 - 950 CCA.

Problem is, when I locate batteries with these characteristics online at auto merchants like Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, and O-Reilly Auto Parts, I am told they will not fit my vehicle type (1995 Mercedes E320). Instead, the various sites recommend alternate batteries that are either Group Size 46, or in one case, a Group Size 48, battery. Not what my mechanic told me I need.

Finally, there is the question of physical size. My current MB battery is approximately 7"H x 7"W x 13.5"L. Most of the batteries I've seen online don't have their dimensions listed.

Bottom line - I'm confused. Can anyone recommend a battery -- by Brand and Model -- that meets the electrical requirements and the physical requirements of my 1995 E320 Cabriolet?

The weather is top-down beautiful right now and I need to get the beast back on the road.

Thank you and kind regards,
Please don’t get angry here folks but I see absolutely no reason to get gouged on a MB battery. I have replaced a few batteries in my W124s over the years and in every case they exceeded their 5 year warranty. Each of those batteries came from AutoZone or the like and fit perfectly. If you want to blow some money buy an Interstate, although I think they are overrated as well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts