Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
MB CL500 Black/Pebble 2005 - VW Touareg Altitude Black/Grey 2007 - Porsche 930 Black/Champagne 1986
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2005 CL500 and it has not been used for the past 3 weeks due to the bad snow and freezing temperatures.

I went to start it today and the remote central locking/opening will not work (I guess battery flat) I have also noticed that the offside rear is very low.

I cannot find a key to open the car manually via the drivers door.

My questions are:
1. Where and how do i get another key - or do i just get a mechanic out to open the car in some way ?
2. Is the rear offside (only one side) usual and will it reset itself when I get the car started ?

Really would appreciate some help

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 CL500
362 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2005 CL500 and it has not been used for the past 3 weeks due to the bad snow and freezing temperatures.

I went to start it today and the remote central locking/opening will not work (I guess battery flat) I have also noticed that the offside rear is very low.

I cannot find a key to open the car manually via the drivers door.

My questions are:
1. Where and how do i get another key - or do i just get a mechanic out to open the car in some way ?
2. Is the rear offside (only one side) usual and will it reset itself when I get the car started ?

Really would appreciate some help

Thanks
1. Did you try taking the actual (metal) key out of your remote or doesn't it have one? (it should be on top).

2. This is not unusual or cause for alarm. It should straighten out when you start/drive it.

3. You CAN drive these in the cold/snow. lol

Good Luck

·
Registered
MB CL500 Black/Pebble 2005 - VW Touareg Altitude Black/Grey 2007 - Porsche 930 Black/Champagne 1986
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

I do appreciate the quick response - THANKS

I did not know the metal key was in the remote key FOB as the manual was locked in the car so i could not check it.

I managed to open the drivers door, get into the car

The ignition will not turn, I guess due to the battery being flat (is 3 weeks of no use normal for the battery to fail ?)

I will attempt to jump start the car this pm and hope it all fires up.

Yes I couild use it during the snow but i also have (for the wife and children) a VW Touareg so we used that instead and it was a dream in the snow compared to the rear wheel drive of the MB.

Thanks again for your help - I will keep you informed to my jump start

Cheers

·
Registered
'02 CL500
376 Posts
Hi

I do appreciate the quick response - THANKS

I did not know the metal key was in the remote key FOB as the manual was locked in the car so i could not check it.

I managed to open the drivers door, get into the car

The ignition will not turn, I guess due to the battery being flat (is 3 weeks of no use normal for the battery to fail ?)

I will attempt to jump start the car this pm and hope it all fires up.

Yes I couild use it during the snow but i also have (for the wife and children) a VW Touareg so we used that instead and it was a dream in the snow compared to the rear wheel drive of the MB.

Thanks again for your help - I will keep you informed to my jump start

Cheers

Be sure to use the proper MB procedure for jump starting the car as if not done correctly, electronic parts can be damaged. Consult your MB manual. If it were me, I'd opt to charge the battery first, with it disconnected, as alternators are not designed to charge dead batteries as this overworking will shorten their life.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be sure to use the proper MB procedure for jump starting the car as if not done correctly, electronic parts can be damaged. Consult your MB manual. If it were me, I'd opt to charge the battery first, with it disconnected, as alternators are not designed to charge dead batteries as this overworking will shorten their life.
Again great advice - Thanks

I did try and see if i could jump start from the Touareg but the battery is under the passenger seat so could not get to it and the other battery (for DVD) is in the floor in boot (but sealed) so did not want to break the seal etc.

So I have just borrowed a battery charger and will take the battery out of the MB and charge it up - I guess for a few hours (10 ?)

Thanks once again

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry Jud

Just saw that this was a new comment

THANKS to you both

Fingers crossed the charger does the job and the windows will drop so i can close the door again before the frost again tonight

Will keep you posted

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry Jud

THANKS to you both

Fingers crossed the charger does the job and the windows will drop so i can close the door again before the frost again tonight

Will keep you posted
Guys

I have removed the battery and stuck it on charge - as soon as charged it the reading was 22 A - so not a flat battery - I have left it on charge for the next hour anyway.

Am I missing something ?, I could not use the remote FOB to open the car then when I did get in using the metal key the car had no power, no lights on dash, windows did not drop etc, so i guess battery - I could not turn the key in the ignition, but guessed this was due to no life in the battery.

Any suggestions, or should i just charge the battery a bit and put it back on the car. Which is a CL500 Sept 2005.

Thanks in advance again !

·
Registered
'02 CL500
376 Posts
Sorry Jud

THANKS to you both

Will keep you posted
You don't need to take the battery out of the car for charging, just disconnect the ground cable and use a good quality extension cord if the charger won't reach. You should charge the batt. until it gets down to 2 amps or so and that s/b fully charged. If its an automatic charger, you don't have to worry about when its reached full charge. Keep in mind that the battery could be bad if it won't charge properly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You don't need to take the battery out of the car for charging, just disconnect the ground cable and use a good quality extension cord if the charger won't reach. You should charge the batt. until it gets down to 2 amps or so and that s/b fully charged. If its an automatic charger, you don't have to worry about when its reached full charge. Keep in mind that the battery could be bad if it won't charge properly.
Jud

Thanks

The battery is at 22A (2A would mean it is flat) i did get the battery out of the car wiythout too much trouble (just need to get it back in later. 22A should be OK (I guess this is a good charge) dont undertsand waiting til it gets to 2A

I am using a portable battery jump starter which aslo charges the battery as a battery charger out of the car/disconected

Let me know

thanks again

·
Registered
'02 CL500
376 Posts
Jud

Thanks

The battery is at 22A (2A would mean it is flat) i did get the battery out of the car wiythout too much trouble (just need to get it back in later. 22A should be OK (I guess this is a good charge) dont undertsand waiting til it gets to 2A

I am using a portable battery jump starter which aslo charges the battery as a battery charger out of the car/disconected

Let me know

thanks again
Regarding the 2 amp reading on the charger, this is the rate of charge (per hour I believe) which drops as the battery charges. A 10 amp charger will start charging a low/dead battery at around 10 amps and then drop as the battery recharges. A 6 amp charger would start out 6 , and so on. The lower the charger amp rating, the cheaper they are and or course the lower the amp rating the lower the price of the charger. When the battery is fully charged, it should show around 12.6 or so volts on a voltmeter. I'm not sure what you mean by 22a.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Regarding the 2 amp reading on the charger, this is the rate of charge (per hour I believe) which drops as the battery charges. A 10 amp charger will start charging a low/dead battery at around 10 amps and then drop as the battery recharges. A 6 amp charger would start out 6 , and so on. The lower the charger amp rating, the cheaper they are and or course the lower the amp rating the lower the price of the charger. When the battery is fully charged, it should show around 12.6 or so volts on a voltmeter. I'm not sure what you mean by 22a.
I have just checked the charger and it is reading 10Amps, so maybe when it first read 22A it was temporary, or the battery is loosing charge

i will check again in 1 hour and see what it reads i will take it off at 12 ish

Thanks once again

You would think i never owned a car before :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have just checked the charger and it is reading 10Amps, so maybe when it first read 22A it was temporary, or the battery is loosing charge

i will check again in 1 hour and see what it reads i will take it off at 12 ish

Thanks once again

You would think i never owned a car before :)
Meant to add it is a 12volt charger

·
Registered
'02 CL500
376 Posts
The 12 volt battery charger is what you want. The charger should also show an amp rating which is the charging rate. The higher the rate, the faster the battery charges.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jud

I understand NOW - doh

So can you tell me when should i remove the battery - will the reading go up to 12.6 when it is charged and at the moment it reads 10 as it is charging at that rate and there is no way of showing how far the charge in the battery is at at the moment - getting there I think

Thanks

·
Registered
'02 CL500
376 Posts
Jud

I understand NOW - doh

So can you tell me when should i remove the battery - will the reading go up to 12.6 when it is charged and at the moment it reads 10 as it is charging at that rate and there is no way of showing how far the charge in the battery is at at the moment - getting there I think

Thanks
I think you are mixing up volts and amps. You have a 12 volt battery which is rated at so many amps. When it is being charged, it is being recharged in amps at the rate indicated on the charger. the battery charger will not show voltage. To do this, you use a voltmeter and simply attach the neg. and pos.wires of the meter to their respective pos and neg post. with the charger disconnected. I would let the charger do its job by leaving it connected until the charging rate which is indicated on the charger reaches around 2 AMPS or so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you are mixing up volts and amps. You have a 12 volt battery which is rated at so many amps. When it is being charged, it is being recharged in amps at the rate indicated on the charger. the battery charger will not show voltage. To do this, you use a voltmeter and simply attach the neg. and pos.wires of the meter to their respective pos and neg post. with the charger disconnected. I would let the charger do its job by leaving it connected until the charging rate which is indicated on the charger reaches around 2 AMPS or so.
Jud

OK it is now reading 8A so going in right direction towards 2A.

A quick question (another) if you do not mind - my charger has 3 settings min, med & max. I have it set on minimun as it charges, does it make any difference to the batterry if I change the setting to medium or maximum (will it charge quicker) - does it effect the life of the battery etc

Appreciate you are busy - but really do appreciate the help

Thank you

·
Registered
'02 CL500
376 Posts
Jud

OK it is now reading 8A so going in right direction towards 2A.

A quick question (another) if you do not mind - my charger has 3 settings min, med & max. I have it set on minimun as it charges, does it make any difference to the batterry if I change the setting to medium or maximum (will it charge quicker) - does it effect the life of the battery etc

Appreciate you are busy - but really do appreciate the help

Thank you
First off, I'm not busy. I'm retired so I'm happy to help. As far as the charger settings, I've never seen one with min., etc. If they mean rate of charge, the charging rate (number shown on the charger) s/b higher with it on max. meaning the battery is being charged faster. You can test this to see if it is the case by moving it to max and see if the amp reading goes up. If it does, you have your answer. I've read that it is best to charge batteries slowly if you have the time. BTW, where do you live? It's always a good idea to show that in your profile as this info can sometimes help forum members help you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First off, I'm not busy. I'm retired so I'm happy to help. As far as the charger settings, I've never seen one with min., etc. If they mean rate of charge, the charging rate (number shown on the charger) s/b higher with it on max. meaning the battery is being charged faster. You can test this to see if it is the case by moving it to max and see if the amp reading goes up. If it does, you have your answer. I've read that it is best to charge batteries slowly if you have the time. BTW, where do you live? It's always a good idea to show that in your profile as this info can sometimes help forum members help you.
Jud

Thanks, I have added my location now.

I will leave the charger on the minimum setting as it probably is best for the battery.

Thanks for your help, I will update the post later when i have the battery back on the car and then follow the manual getting it going again

Cheers

·
Registered
'02 CL500
376 Posts
Ahh, I see you are from Ireland, laddie (not sure if I'm using this term properly). Anyway, I assume you know that the battery will have to resynchronized after it is reconnected. It is a very simple job and is outlined in the manual. If you need help, let me know.

·
Registered
2001 CLK430, 2000 CL500 both silver with black interior. 2005 C230Kompressor Sport Red with Blk Int
90 Posts
Looks like Jud has this situation taken care of. Your car will be fine after you charge the battery Im sure. But Im pretty sure your next question is going to be, why doesnt my radio work? Lol. So before we get there, make sure you have your radio code. :thumbsup:

P.S. Ireland was the country I ever went to my first time leaving the U.S. but I didnt get to see very much because I was on my way to Iraq Lol! Maybe I will go again someday and check it out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts