Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its a cold winter and i left the lights on 1 night and the battery was dead the next day. had the road service out and the guy said the battery looked new and said all i needed was a jump and to run the car for 2 hours and then trickle charge it overnight. since that night the windows only go up an inch at a time or at all. i thought it might be the switch but its all the windows that do it. ths SRS indicator light is on now also. the wife says she has had problems with the key fob opening the doors but since the battery charge she's not having it. 1999 320 e just bought off a little old lady with only 27,000 miles on it. i'm starting to wonder why she sold it??? need help, do i need a new battery ???

·
Registered
2000 ML430
14 Posts
If this is the cars first battery it will need to be replaced.. my battery died this summer and caused all kinds of strange behaviour.. the car would still start but a lot of electronics didn't quite work the way they should... I tried charging the battery but that didn't help

So, I got a new battery and everything was fine..

·
Registered
2000 E320
183 Posts
unferth is right, a weak battery can cause all sorts of electrical problems on these cars. Most auto shops will check your battery condition for free. Either way, after you disconnect and re-connect a battery, or if you have a weak battery, the symptoms you're describing are understandable and expected. In fact, I have noticed the one-inch at a time syndrome on my windows after I disconnected and re-connected my battery. If I were you, I would check the condition of the battery and change it if required. After that you may have to re-synchronize a few things.

Here is a comprehensive list of all items that need (or may need) to be synchronized after loss of power (i.e., battery disconnect):

Synchronizing Head Restraints:

If the power supply was interrupted (battery
disconnected or empty), the head restraints are no
longer adjusted automatically. To resynchronize the adjustment feature, turn electronic key in steering lock to position 2, move the seat completely forward and the head restraint fully down, and hold respective buttons for approximately two seconds.

Synchronizing power windows:

disconnected or low), the windows cannot be opened or
closed by the Express feature. To resynchronize the express feature, press side of power window switch to resistance point until the window is completely closed and hold for additional 2 seconds. Repeat procedure for each window. The automatic full opening and closing procedure of the windows should now be restored.

Synchronizing sliding/pop-up roof:

disconnected or low), or if the sliding/pop-up roof is blocked during closing/opening procedure, the system has to be synchronized. To do so, turn electronic key in steering lock to position 2, move and hold switch in direction (3), until the sliding/pop-up roof is completely raised at rear, and
hold for additional 1 second.

Synchronizing ESP:

disconnected or empty), the BAS/ESP malfunction
indicator lamp may be illuminated with the engine
running. Turn steering wheel completely to the left and then to the right. The BAS/ESP malfunction indicator lamp should go out.

Synchronizing remote control:

The remote control may have to be resynchronized, if
the vehicle cannot be locked or unlocked. To synchronize insert electronic key in steering lock.
The remote control should once again be operational.

·
Registered
CLK320
945 Posts
Harb,

I thought you had a desert silver W210? Did you get a new one?

·
Registered
2000 E320
183 Posts
Good eyes Mr. Pie! The answer is I always had the everest green metallic (pictured now). I just used a generic W210 picture before because I didn't have a chance to take a digital picture till recently!

·
Registered
CLK320
945 Posts
Nice color btw [;)]. What color is your interior?

·
Registered
2000 E320
183 Posts
The interior color is Java. Very bright, cheerful, and a nice contrast with the exterior color (which is more like olive green). By the way, I posted 10 pictures in a W210 gallery folder (Harb 2000 E320). Thank you Storm for the suggestion. You can get to the folder by clicking my name.

By the way, the car is an E320 but the previous owner had the E430 badge. I was considering flipping it back to E320 or de-badge it alltogether.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks "Harb"

Your instructions were RIGHT ON! I had to do the process a few times . . . but it worked!!! I'm back on the road for FREE! Thank you Jesus!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts