Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

my SL seems to have a battery drain, which is a pain the hoop. It seems to have been on the car for a while as the previous owner has fitted a cut of switch.

If I turn on (so it cuts all power) this switch it will last a good while (if it isn't being driven, say 7 days or so)

Although If I leave this switch off (as normal) it will only last a day or two, the car will be completely flat, more so in this cold weather. It will retain power for longer if the car is being driven.

Are there any starters for 6 to check on these cars?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had a battery drain that turned out to be the fuel pump relay gone bad. Luckily, this is easily diagnosed: I walked by my car in the middle of the night and heard a hum coming from the fuel tank area. In my 129 this relay is above and slightly forward of the battery.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I think the Electric Antenna has been a source of drain sometimes. I think my car has a slight drain but I havn't got round to sfinding it yet. Maybe put the Multimeter from battery+ terminal to disconnected + lead to find the amount of drain. Then reconnect the battery, and multimeter across the fuse terminals and add up any leaks.

Does that sound like a plan :confused:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I would check the battery out first it should last longer than a couple of days,if thats ok the boot light is also been a drain on power remove the bulb and see if it is any better :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all,

thanks for the replies, the battery is like a month old. The car hasnt been driven much so this is why it isn't at full strenght, she will be on the road next week :)

Matt

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No rear light on mine.

It is in for a disagnostic today, so hopefully that will bring up some information.

My mechanic has had to create the LED for reading this car. Fingers crossed.

Matt

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Hi Mwaite1985 our fellow member Aam in these cases always suggests putting a multimeter on the battery, pulling all the fuses one by one meanwhile keeping an eye on the multimeter variations. I'm not an expert so Aam himself or other more knwoledgeable than me can explain you what to do in a better way.

Hope it helps for now.

Cheers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's great. This can be a job for the weekend.

The car is in for an oil change, pedal re-grease at the moment, so hopefully I will get it back tomorrow, oh and hopefully with a working hood :)

Matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts