Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
W210, W211, W163
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Run power to the audio gateway fuse via the cigarette lighter? Genius. I have sporadic episodes of battery draining, every two or three months. Dealer has check the codes. Nothing useful. I think I may have something something intermittent in the audio gateway. I'm going to try this fix for a few months and see if the mysterious battery draining abates.

You can use the cigarette power to directly power the audio gateway but you are overloading the cigarette circuit if you do it that way.

Using the cigarette circuit to simply power a relay, which in turns powers up existing audio gateway circuit is a safer method.

I will try to do a simple sketch on how to hook up a relay. Relays are just a few box, and that way you will have a perfect solution to your problem.

·
Registered
W210, W211, W163
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Here is a simple diagram.

I think it is easy enough for most people to do on their own.

Don't try this if you don't know what an electron is.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts

I get it. Thanks. Your solution has another benefit: Not having bluetooth connections linger when parking the car at home. (BTW my bluetooth connections were off when battery drains occurred). This is annoying feature of the Mercedes Blue tooth from this era.

·
Registered
W211 03 E500 Sports , W210 00 E430 Sports, W211 2005 E500
29 Posts

I hate bringing old threads alive, but i simple dont know what to do. I just gave this a try, but for some reason fuse 12,13,14 did not work. I tested those specific places for power and it did light up on my homemade test light which shows that there is power coming through. The only ones that seemed to turn on the relay where fuse 6 (how ironic) and fuse 9 (Roof unit) I tested my Relay box hack thing to check if it actually worked and it did work while connected to fuse 9, but the relay did not turn off once the ignition is off. Any idea why the relay doesn't click (turn on) even thought the fuse outlets are producing power?

·
Registered
W210, W211, W163
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I tested my Relay box hack thing to check if it actually worked and it did work while connected to fuse 9, but the relay did not turn off once the ignition is off. Any idea why the relay doesn't click (turn on) even thought the fuse outlets are producing power?
I am confused because you are saying two different things here.

1. Make sure that whichever fuse you use to feed the relay (that will turn the relay on/off) actually turns off when you remove the key. Some of the circuits/fuses still stay powered even after you remove the key.

2. Make sure that you are connecting the right wires of the relay to the activating fuse.

3. Don't forget to put the fuses in series after you remove them from the fuse panel.

Do I need to do a youtube video on how to this ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am confused because you are saying two different things here.

1. Make sure that whichever fuse you use to feed the relay (that will turn the relay on/off) actually turns off when you remove the key. Some of the circuits/fuses still stay powered even after you remove the key.

2. Make sure that you are connecting the right wires of the relay to the activating fuse.

3. Don't forget to put the fuses in series after you remove them from the fuse panel.

Do I need to do a youtube video on how to this ?
First of all thanks for the quick reply.
The problem seems to be that i only get the plus (+) from some of the fuses on the rear SAM, I get no ground from the other end, therefore my relay does no click. Currently i have it setup so i get power from the fuse 12 in the rear SAM positive and I'm getting negative(-) from a bolt. Why do you think I have no ground on some of the fuses? Is it a defective Rear SAM? Also my rear sub doesn't function. I know for a fact prior to me owning the vehicle the guy did a lot of aftermarket installations. Unfortunately he did a horrible job cutting factory wires and all very messy.

·
Registered
W210, W211, W163
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
DO NOT GET NEGATIVE FROM A BOLT OR CHASSIS.

These circuits are very complicated and you can actually damage them by using the ground where you shouldn't.

Next make sure you find a fuse circuit that is working properly. And I would try to find something not too critical like a cigarette lighter or similar.

See if you can use the power seats fuse, the rear heater, seat heating or rear window roller.

Once you get the relay to click make sure that the fuse you remove it connected in series as shown on my diagram a few post earlier. This will help in protecting the circuit as it was designed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
DO NOT GET NEGATIVE FROM A BOLT OR CHASSIS.

These circuits are very complicated and you can actually damage them by using the ground where you shouldn't.

Next make sure you find a fuse circuit that is working properly. And I would try to find something not too critical like a cigarette lighter or similar.

See if you can use the power seats fuse, the rear heater, seat heating or rear window roller.

Once you get the relay to click make sure that the fuse you remove it connected in series as shown on my diagram a few post earlier. This will help in protecting the circuit as it was designed.
That's the thing, no fuse worked for me besides the roof unit. and that one doesn't seem to turn off when the key is removed. Currently i am following your exact same circuit with the built in fuse, the only difference is i am connected from relay to bolt, rather then relay to cigarette fuse. Your saying I should avoid this? I was inspecting the back of my same to see why i don't have negative, and in the back where it says 12, I'm assuming it corresponds to fuse 12, there is no input wire, is it like that on yours? Anyways thanks for the quick respond.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2004 W211 E500

Same problem and has been to the dealership twice. Almost every time it comes back with the problem "fixed." Changed the alternator and both batteries and it has a brand new command unit as well. Nothing world but this last time the dealership asked me how I usually lock the car and I said sometimes i don't or sometimes I use the keyless entry button n the door handle to lock it. And he said just try locking with the car remote and see if that helps.. Sure enough I've used the remote key to lock every time and I haven't had any issues. So try being super cognasent of how you lock the car because I think when you lock with just the remote key it auto kills all things that were still running on battery...

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,863 Posts
My AGW was replaced as it would not shut down no matter what I did.

Had the dealer use an genuine MB OE reman part. The first one lasted a month and the second one is still working fine after 2 years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello i have the same problem but when i use my mb star it says D135 short circuit to ground that i must replace the cable. what cable do i have to replace?

·
Registered
94 S420 RIP 2/8/13 02 ML55AMG, 06 CLS55AMG, 89 Mas. 228, 84 Por. 911 Carrera, 93 Toyota t.t. Supra
1,582 Posts
This is an update type modification to a problem corrected by Subby541 back in 2013. The fix was genius and is proof that sometimes simple is better. In my case the audio system functioned fine but the AGW would not go to sleep. So it drained the battery overnight. I started by pulling the fuse ( No. 6 in trunk a 40 amp fuse). Bingo lucky right off the bat. Had no radio but had no drain either. What I did was isolate the non power side of the 40 amp fuse. On my 2006 CLS 55 AMG the the non power side is on the right side of the fuse as you look at the fuse box from the passenger side. PLEASE VERIFY THE NON POWER SIDE. Use a test light connected to the battery ground terminal and touch the left and then right side of the fuse looking for the side that does not light up,when you touch it with the probe. I then used a blown fuse, soldered wire to the non power side and plugged it into the audio gateway fuse (40 amp no. 6) in the back. Then took a wire and spliced it to the power side of the trunk socket, and connected it to the non power side of the audio fuse number 6 already inserted. Then removed the 15 amp fuse that was for the rear socket (no. 12 trunk) and put a 40 amp fuse in because it was now powering the audio gateway. When the key is on the power goes to the unit and when the power is off there is no power to the unit and there is no need to sleep because there is no power. Ends the problem of an awake AGW. When my unit finally dies and a new one is put in there is no modification to the fuse box just unplug the fuse with the wire on it, remove the 40 amp fuse from the trunk socket No. 12 put the original 15 amp back in and put the 40 amp back in socket 6 and and its done. A great fix by Subby541 and proof that sometimes simple is better.
Sent from my iPad

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,863 Posts
That is one way to fix it.

A genuine MB reman AGW is around $250 now.(new ones were close to $800) It also has the same as a new part warranty.
The only downside to replacing it is that an MB Star computer needs to be used to program whatever audio features your car has into the replacement AGW.

·
Registered
S211 2003
27 Posts
This is an update type modification to a problem corrected by Subby541 back in 2013. The fix was genius and is proof that sometimes simple is better. In my case the audio system functioned fine but the AGW would not go to sleep. So it drained the battery overnight. I started by pulling the fuse ( No. 6 in trunk a 40 amp fuse). Bingo lucky right off the bat. Had no radio but had no drain either. What I did was isolate the non power side of the 40 amp fuse. On my 2006 CLS 55 AMG the the non power side is on the right side of the fuse as you look at the fuse box from the passenger side. PLEASE VERIFY THE NON POWER SIDE. Use a test light connected to the battery ground terminal and touch the left and then right side of the fuse looking for the side that does not light up,when you touch it with the probe. I then used a blown fuse, soldered wire to the non power side and plugged it into the audio gateway fuse (40 amp no. 6) in the back. Then took a wire and spliced it to the power side of the trunk socket, and connected it to the non power side of the audio fuse number 6 already inserted. Then removed the 15 amp fuse that was for the rear socket (no. 12 trunk) and put a 40 amp fuse in because it was now powering the audio gateway. When the key is on the power goes to the unit and when the power is off there is no power to the unit and there is no need to sleep because there is no power. Ends the problem of an awake AGW. When my unit finally dies and a new one is put in there is no modification to the fuse box just unplug the fuse with the wire on it, remove the 40 amp fuse from the trunk socket No. 12 put the original 15 amp back in and put the 40 amp back in socket 6 and and its done. A great fix by Subby541 and proof that sometimes simple is better.
Sent from my iPad

That was great

But you could of taken some pictures at the time, and that would be great to see how to DIY, some times a pictures is better than 1000 words :D

·
Registered
E500 4Matic 2005 (S211)
468 Posts
It's a cheap and easy way to resolve a complicated thing, good job, but a picture and a schematic for the ones having understanding difficulties in electric/electronics explanations would be far simpler for them.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts