Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
W210, W211, W163
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I got this 03 E320 with 84k miles. Overall in good condition, but not without any issues.
As the title says, I am having problems with the battery getting drained when the car would sit overnight. After a lot of testing I found that the audio gate way is not going to sleep. When I pull fuse 6 which is the fuse for Audio Gateway everything is fine and I don't get the battery problem.

So, at the moment I have a fix, please don't laugh because it works even though its not how MB designed it. I have a relay that is connected to the fuse for the cigarette lighter, that turns on fuse 6. Anyway this might not be clear but it works. :D

Going back to the problem. I would like to figure out why the audio gateway doesn't sleep?. :rolleyes: The stereo has been replaced, with another MB stereo. The TeleAid comes on when you start the car. And by the fuse box I see one optical cable not connected. Yes, there is another optical cable plugged into the audio gate way. I unpluged the sub by the rear windshield and also the stero and the lower contol panel and still didn't resolve the high current draw.

My guess, is that the teleAid system is not disabled and keeps the audio gateway awake. Could this be the problem? What would you suggest.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,863 Posts
It is the reason I had mine in to dealer.

The AGW as a genuine MB rebuilt part from the dealer for $200. It will have to have all
correct Features coded to it via SDS, but that is only 1 hour labor. If you are willing to
change the part you can fix for a relatively small price. Until the rebuilt ones were available
the AGW cost over $900 for the part alone.

·
Registered
W210, W211, W163
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input.
It's against my religion to spend even one penny at the dealer for diagnostics. Soon I may be getting a hold of (some really good) diagnostic tools ;) :tool: and maybe I can figure out the problem.
If the system needs to be replaced, I may just have to live with my the relay "hack". I currently have no battery drain from AGW; the relay turns off AGW when you turn the ignition off.

·
Registered
E500 "The Diplomat" W211
70 Posts
my battery keeps dying too along with my SBC noise playing thru the subwoofer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I also have a similar problem with my E320 (53) CDI.

My audio system is causing a battery drain. The only way to prevent it from draining is by removing the fuse (by the fuse box near driver side door). Is there a permanent fix for this problem? The battery is fine (had it checked by AA).

Also, my interior lights (all of them) just stopped working suddenly. Any ideas of what's gone wrong or how i can fix this also?

·
Registered
W210, W211, W163
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

I also have a similar problem with my E320 (53) CDI.

My audio system is causing a battery drain. The only way to prevent it from draining is by removing the fuse (by the fuse box near driver side door). Is there a permanent fix for this problem? The battery is fine (had it checked by AA).

Also, my interior lights (all of them) just stopped working suddenly. Any ideas of what's gone wrong or how i can fix this also?

The relay solution that I mentioned above worked for me and I didn't bother to change any parts. Have you replaced any of the audio components recently though? The command system? I think one reason that there is a drain from the sound system is because the fiber optical cable is disconnected somewhere. Or if the command has been replaced it may need to be configured properly to your car settings.

Maybe you can do a relay hack and save yourself headache and $$$.

·
Banned
12 Posts
if you have a 03 MY vehicle it is likely that your CGW is ruined beyond repair. these days that modue is pretty cheap, maybe 100-250 installed.. but if you have no idea whats wrong with you vehicle the 125 dollar diagnostic is not a bad idea if you have a good dealer nearby..the cost on these vehicles of shotgunning even one part far outways the cost of a proper diagnosis. you drive a benz dont be cheap...

·
Registered
W210, W211, W163
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the suggestion abobe that the TeleAid was keeping up the AGW system is correct. The SRS light was on because the TeleAid was improperly configured. Got that fixed and the SRS light went away.

The cheap fix of using a relay solved my problem. I never bothered on removing relay to check if the reconfiguration of the TeleAid fixed the drain. There are more than one way to fix things. For the dealer there is only one. Their goal is REPLACE not FIX.

·
Purple Moderator
21,863 Posts
If an AGW needs replacing MB has them rebuilt for under $300 and about 1.5 hours to replace and version code it.
Three years ago that would have been $1500 and now is under $500 with a one year warranty.
My failed AGW killed a battery. (the battery was still under warranty). It took two trips to get it right.
The first time the version coding was wrong. The second time they had a 20 year MB tech veteran
do it correctly.
Since then all audio related things work much better. BT phone, Sirius, Nav voice and OTA radio.

·
Registered
2006 E350
3 Posts
I know it's an older thread, but I wanted to update with my new-to-me '06 E350. I was having the battery drain in less than 2 days with a brand new battery. Amp meter was showing a steady 2.2 amp with random jumps up to 5 when everything was "off". I also had the TeleAid error.

First, the amps dropped immediately when I pulled the 40 amp fuse for the Audio Gateway Module.

Next, I cleaned the antenna splitter for the TeleAid (had the water corrosion that others have posted about). That fixed that error; however, that did not fix the AGW failing to sleep. All systems work, even the satellite radio, and I don't want to spend $ getting a used module and having it programmed.

I created a workaround similar to Hilarushi's, but slightly different (power to AGW cuts when ignition is off). Everything is back to the way it should be...

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 2006 E350 4matic
14 Posts
I created a workaround similar to Hilarushi's, but slightly different (power to AGW cuts when ignition is off). Everything is back to the way it should be...

How did you do that? I am not very knowledgeable in these things but I would appreciate some info!
Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 E350
3 Posts
I opted to not use a relay after I checked the wire gauges, amp draw, and wire lengths. I tied directly into the trunk accessory outlet fuse circuit for power with an in-line fuse and changed the 15 amp fuse for that circuit to a 30 amp.

Have not had any issues and everything tests and works fine. When the key is turned off, power to the AGW module is cut.

·
Registered
2003 E500
11 Posts
I opted to not use a relay after I checked the wire gauges, amp draw, and wire lengths. I tied directly into the trunk accessory outlet fuse circuit for power with an in-line fuse and changed the 15 amp fuse for that circuit to a 30 amp.

Have not had any issues and everything tests and works fine. When the key is turned off, power to the AGW module is cut.
Subby541, Please tell me how you did this. I have the same issue and haven't been able to find a solution. Don't want to take it to the dealer as I know it's going to be an expensive fix. BTW, did you have a SRS warning after taking the AGW fuse out?

·
Purple Moderator
21,863 Posts
I was surprised at how little the repair was for dealer pricing.

The drain is caused by a faulty AGW. I had mine replaced. Labor was 1.5 hours.

MB dealers sell the AGW as a reman for $231. It is about $170 at parts.com. A new one is almost $900. Reman part # is 211870688988 and they are stocked at the MB warehouses.

Total job at a dealer was about $400. I had the dealer do it so that it had the full one year parts and labor warranty.
I know nobody likes to spend $400, but it is worth it IMO. These AGWs can just get worse. Once mine was replaced the BT phone, radio, Sirius radio and CDs all sounded better.

·
Registered
2006 E350
3 Posts
You have to access inside the driver's side trunk panel where to fuses and SAM are. I re-routed the AGW power wire that plugged into the fuse panel. I cut (but left room to re-attach correctly in case the AGW finally needs replacing) the power wire and grafted an inline fuse onto the end. The other end of the inline fuse was grafted to the trunk cigarette power line (on/off with the key). Make sure you are able to access the fuse when the trunk liner is put back together (from the flip down fuse access area).

If/when the AGW fails completely or becomes an issue with functionality, I will replace it and put the power back to the correct circuit. In the mean time, it just wasn't worth shelling out even only $400 when I spent less than $2 in parts to resolve the immediate issue.

·
Registered
2003 E500
11 Posts
You have to access inside the driver's side trunk panel where to fuses and SAM are. I re-routed the AGW power wire that plugged into the fuse panel. I cut (but left room to re-attach correctly in case the AGW finally needs replacing) the power wire and grafted an inline fuse onto the end. The other end of the inline fuse was grafted to the trunk cigarette power line (on/off with the key). Make sure you are able to access the fuse when the trunk liner is put back together (from the flip down fuse access area).

If/when the AGW fails completely or becomes an issue with functionality, I will replace it and put the power back to the correct circuit. In the mean time, it just wasn't worth shelling out even only $400 when I spent less than $2 in parts to resolve the immediate issue.
Thank you for your reply Subby541! I'm going to attempt this. The inline fuse you used was the same amps(40) as the original fuse? Which one is the cigarette lighter power line?

·
Registered
E500 4Matic 2005 (S211)
468 Posts
Thanks for the info Subby541, a picture of the modification and/or a schematic would be nice.

·
Registered
2003 E500
11 Posts
w211 AGW battery drain DIY fix

Thank you for your reply Subby541! I'm going to attempt this. The inline fuse you used was the same amps(40) as the original fuse? Which one is the cigarette lighter power line?
I followed Subby541's directions to fix the AGW power drain. Bought the inline fuse on ebay for $5.

1. Remove metal casing (only one bolt) to access the back of the fuse box in
the trunk
2. Pull out the AGW connector (red wire)
3. Cut the connector off and tie one end of the inline fuse to it
4. Remove insulation from the cig. lighter power cable and connect the other
end of the inline fuse
5. Put everything back and leave the inline fuse cable out just in case you
need to access it later

Hope the pictures help! You just saved yourself few hundred dollars!

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
So, at the moment I have a fix, please don't laugh because it works even though its not how MB designed it. I have a relay that is connected to the fuse for the cigarette lighter, that turns on fuse 6. Anyway this might not be clear but it works. :D
Run power to the audio gateway fuse via the cigarette lighter? Genius. I have sporadic episodes of battery draining, every two or three months. Dealer has check the codes. Nothing useful. I think I may have something something intermittent in the audio gateway. I'm going to try this fix for a few months and see if the mysterious battery draining abates.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts