Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SL500
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, I’m pretty new to this forum and definitely to R129 and my new to ‘98 SL500 roadster. I’m getting ready to put my SL into heated winter storage and want to ask whether or not I should disconnect the battery and put a trickle charger on it or just put a trickle charger on the battery without disconnecting.
I’ve always left the battery connected on my motorcycle with a trickle charger over the winter months ( indoor heated storage) but have no experience with this 20+ year old car. It seems to me that I’d be fine but I’d like to know what folks have to say.

·
Registered
1998 SL500 Sport
244 Posts
I keep the battery in the car, connected, with a battery tender plugged in. I also have a 98.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2002 Black SL500, 2000 Azure blue SL500, 2005 Silver (A209) CLK500
908 Posts
I keep the battery in the car, connected, with a battery tender plugged in. I also have a 98.

I second that motion...

·
M20
4,784 Posts
Unless you plan to leave a car indefinitely, keep it connected and trickle charged.

I think the bigger question for most during winter is whether to put them up on stands and fuel additives

·
Registered
1998 SL500 Sport
244 Posts
Unless you plan to leave a car indefinitely, keep it connected and trickle charged.

I think the bigger question for most during winter is whether to put them up on stands and fuel additives
I always fill up the tank and add Stabil. When the weather is nice and roads are clean, I take the car out for a spin to keep fluids moving. But only if the roads are dry and salt free.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Good advice. I skip the stands, but I always parks on little carpet squares (to protect against concrete sucking the life out of the rubber), and inflate the tires to 50psi to minimize flat spots.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,058 Posts
I remove my battery .The reason is the car is covered over with a car cover and old bed sheets to keep cover away from the paint, and for extra warmth . Just to say if you do remove any battery from your cars dont put them on to a cold concret floor .But on the bech or if you have to keep them on the floor put them on to a piece of old carpet or wood .

·
Registered
87' 190E 16V / 93' 600SL
1,173 Posts
As I don't have plugin close by I simply disconnect the negative terminal as I do every year. No ill effects.

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,921 Posts
Add me to the list of trickle charger supporters, but get one that is intelligent. Meaning it stops charging when the battery is at 100%, and then turns itself back on when the battery drops below 100%.
Every single car I keep stored for the winter has this, and never a problem. Like bartisarski posted above, when the roads are dry, with no salt present anywhere, I also take them all for a spin.

I liked the idea of carpet squares and more tire pressure, will try that this season..

·
Registered
1998 SL500
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for replying...I used a smart trickle charger on my motorcycle so I'll get another for my SL. I will definitely use Stabile, increasing the air pressure and even the carpet squares if the storage facility lets me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks all for replying...I used a smart trickle charger on my motorcycle so I'll get another for my SL. I will definitely use Stabile, increasing the air pressure and even the carpet squares if the storage facility lets me.
Stabile is a good idea, but not really necessary with modern fuels (for storage less than a year.) I do suggest you fill your fuel tank before storage - any condensation that forms on the side of the tank will get into the fuel.

·
Registered
94 SL600, 89 Jag XJS conv, 85 Daimler Princess, 97 993 63 Avanti 16 Lincoln MKZ hybrid 16 Silverado
720 Posts
I use a C Tek on several vehicles. I have eternal hope that weather will be ideal for a toy to be driven during a nice day in Kansas during each month.
My fleet gets started regularly if not driven. I keep tire air pressure ( nitrogen ) in the 34-38 range. I don't keep lots of fuel in the tanks, and do check for water in those vehicles with glass gas bowl

·
Registered
2010 SL63 AMG, 2001 SL500, 2012 Corvette Z06, 2013 Lexus RX350, 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe, 2015 Ram
487 Posts
I have a few of these https://no.co/g1100 for my cars that are stored in the heated garage for winter (4 - 5 months), and a bigger one for occasionally topping up the charge on my truck, which sits outside at the curb in front of the house and doesn't get driven much in winter.

I used to put Stabil in the stored cars, but for the past few years I haven't because I figured there is enough additives in the premium fuel to do the job. I haven't noticed any problems.

I don't do anything regarding the tires and have never noticed flat spots. Not even on the Pilot SuperSports which have a soft rubber compound.

I remain undecided on it being a good idea to start the cars occasionally. The hardest wear and tear on an engine is at startup, when the oil is cold and drained away from the moving parts. It is especially so when the car has been sitting for weeks. So is it better to do four of those starts - once per month, or one time after a 4 month wait? An argument for starting up occasionally is that I can try to run the AC to keep the seals conditioned. This might also apply to the engine main (rear) seal.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,058 Posts
I removed my battery .Reason is the car is under canvas --well a good car cover,,and 4 thermal bed sheets for insulation .And with a king size quilt tucked under the hood over the engine and 6 bath towels to keep it warm. Battery is on my work bench in the garage and a small fastoon bulb conected to run it down over time , then i put my inteligent battery charger on every 5 days .I do this for 6 months of the year. But if i used a garage then i would let the battery stay in the battery compartment. And spin the engine from time to time..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts