1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1993 400SEL (W140)
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've left my car for a month or two parked in my garage without starting it :(

So now the battery is completely dead ! and I can't get the trunk open to jump-start the car (battery in trunk)..

I tried putting the key in the trunk lock "thing" and turning it, but it won't open it.

I also tried putting the key into the driver/passenger side door lock 'thing' and it won't open it.

So I can't open my hood or my trunk or the car itself..

Any help would be appreciated !

BTW, I'm not a pro with W140, so I will need baby steps (PICTURES would be AWESOME) on how I can solve this issue :(

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
1993 400SEL (W140)
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've also read other forums on here that had this same issue, but I couldn't understand what they were trying to explain (i.e. no pictures at all, and the explanation was too complex for my 'newbie' skills)..

Adam

·
Registered
'14 E350, '07 CLK350, '01 SLK320
1,148 Posts
This has been discussed in this forum once or twice before. You should be able to find the thread(s) pretty easily if you use the search button in the upper right corner. Make sure you have Javascript turned on or it won't work. Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1993 400SEL (W140)
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some people suggested opening the hood and connect + cable to something..and negative to ground.. How would I open the hood without releasing the hood-latch from inside the car ?

Also, I don't understand where I would connect the + cable to which part of my hood ?

not sure, HELP!

Adam

·
Registered
1995 mercedes S420
228 Posts
Some people suggested opening the hood and connect + cable to something..and negative to ground.. How would I open the hood without releasing the hood-latch from inside the car ?

Also, I don't understand where I would connect the + cable to which part of my hood ?

not sure, HELP!

Adam
use a Toilet plunger . it works. i had tried it before. put the Toilet plunger where the key go in the (key lock). make sure its not leaking air then push the Toilet plunger hard . that will make the lock go up to open. it might nor work on the first time. just keep trying and try it with different doors too

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Get a small battery charger, adapt a cigarette type adapter to the leads turn on the ignition, in a few moments you should have put a small charge into the battery.
If not open the passenger side rear door and remove the door sill the + plus side cable runs there, pierce the cable with an awl and use an alligator clip from your charger

·
Registered
1992 600SEL and 1990 ford taurus GL
270 Posts
i don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but how did you ever do it??? i would try to help but im completely useless, i know that when my battery died, with the car locked, i just turned the key and it unlocked the trunk for me

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
827 Posts
my car unlocked just fine with the battery disconnected???
i don't understand how it wouldn't unlock with the key unless your not turning the key enough.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
Sometimes locks can get sticky especially from not being used.

I had this same problem. Take a pair of pliers, put the key in the lock and grab the key with the pliers... then GENTLY try to torque the key very carefully until you can loosen up that lock...

This may not work every time, but I would think most of the time this will make that lock turn again.. some kind of lubricant might also help, but i'm not sure which type is best. I know that graphite lubricant should be fine, but i'm not sure if you may need something even better...

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
Get a small battery charger, adapt a cigarette type adapter to the leads turn on the ignition, in a few moments you should have put a small charge into the battery.
If not open the passenger side rear door and remove the door sill the + plus side cable runs there, pierce the cable with an awl and use an alligator clip from your charger
it doesnt work. also if the latch releases due to lack of vacuum trunk lights will be on meaning you WILL melt the cigarette lighter wires and catch your car on fire. been there, almost burned mine down. it was fun rewiring this i tell you.

as for the other im not sure what you are talking about.. the battery main wires are well out of reach from what you are describing.

it's in the sticky but i'll recap.

front passenger foot area.
remove door sill (easy or you break it),
pull carpet from foot area (peel back)
unscrew and remove the metal plate that is now uncovered.

under it below the dash as the foot area bends up, you will see the 3 or so BIG red cables terminating to a joint of sort). that's your battery positive.

right there is the ground.

you can either trickle charge from there or hook up a normal 12v cell and power the car to release the trunk

·
Registered
1990 190D, 1997 S300 Turbo Diesel, 2002 ML270 CDI
205 Posts
Its not fun to have a nice car with bad locks. I strongly advice to change bad locks.

rgds
Odd

·
Registered
111/123/124/126/140/201
925 Posts
I have an experience with my E34 Bimmer M5. The battery is inside rear seat and the door lock are controlled by battery. You can jump the car either 1) from the battery which is in the cabin (and locked) or open the hood, there's a positive for you, which required you to get into the cabin and open the hatch...... bummer!

The only "door" i can open with the key is the trunk. I was so mad why they dont put the battery inside the trunk like the W140.... then my mech teach me a trick

1) pop the rear brake light bulb out
2) get a 12V battery
3) get two wire, small one
4) negative to metal and positive into light blub... you should able to get power just to open the door lock, and YES!

for the W140 case, I hope you can try by the same. lighter trick should be alright just to open the trunk, wish you luck!

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Getting at the junction under the front passenger loor mat on the transmission tunnel is not the easiest, an can result in the panel getting distorted. There are other options including pressurizing the unlock line with a "bike" pump. Others include getting into the fuse box, or under the car to the starter lead.
I wonder if soaking the lock cylinder with a penatrating oil was tried. In reading the post it did not indicate if unlocking with the key and then pushing the button was attempted.
The lighter is fused, you are backfeeding with a small charger, how can you burn up the car?

·
Premium Member
84 500 SEL ...94 S420..... 95 S500.... 96 S500 95 S600
1,705 Posts
power it under drivers side floor panel

Its very simple to jump it from the passenger side floor panel. There is a large red Positive cable and ground it to a post that is grounded. Trunk pops open.. Charge or replace the battery and you will be good..

·
Premium Member
84 500 SEL ...94 S420..... 95 S500.... 96 S500 95 S600
1,705 Posts
locked out?

Didnt realize you cant get into the car at all...any futher news?

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
827 Posts
couldn't you jack up the car a bit and hook up some jumper cables to the starter and ground and open the car?

·
Registered
CL500 W140 '97 Coupe
62 Posts
Interesting thread this!..

..i would really like to know the definitive answer on how one would get around this issue if it arose !?

What would the garage or roadside recovery guy do?

Tapatalk from Galaxy S2

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 600 SEL (14-01-1992)
19 Posts
My car is a 1992 600 SEL. Always disconnect the battery to avoid any downloading if time stopped.
Triggered the central locking with the trunk open and then disconnect the negative battery, the trunk is closed with a suitable punch.
Under these conditions, turning the key to the left (counter clockwise) and pressing inward said key and lock, the trunk opens.
Not if having closed the trunk with the central locking can be opened in this way, but always serve for the future, may have to disconnect the battery to prevent discharge.
If not open the above, I think it is convenient access to the engine, opening the bonnet, and temporarily, provide electrical power to an auxiliary battery to open with central locking, through a suitable fuse (one of major or larger).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had same problem. Bought new key but got valet key from mechanic instead thinking he saved me money.It opened trunk turning to left and pushing. Try it. A quick jump opened all.

·
Registered
1990 190D, 1997 S300 Turbo Diesel, 2002 ML270 CDI
205 Posts
What about removing the engine bottom cover and then connect a charger to the alternator outlet. I think that would be my solution since it can take a lot of current.

rgds
Odd

1 - 20 of 29 Posts