Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, the battery is obviously dead and the keys will not unlock the door. I can open the trunk. (or it was unlocked allready but I doubt it) But the drivers door will not unlock. I tried feeding 12v thru the dome light in the trunk. That only makes the dome light inside the car turn on. But no luck with the lock. The remote doesnt work and the key dosent work. Help

Thanks
Joe Piotrowski

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what you mean my key fob. I have 2 types of keys. The one I used all the time that also has the remote, and the singular key with a round base. Neither one works

Thanks for your replys

Joe

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
I think you need some lubricant in there...try to squirt some wd40 or other light oil into there and give it a minute. Or, you can apply it to your key and insert it several times.

Your ignition has not been replaced since you can use the key in your trunk...there's one thing to eliminate.

A lot of people around Houston have found that there keys no longer will unlock the door because someone has picked your lock and entered your car without you knowing it. Sometimes there is a punch mark on the face of the lock. Sometimes there is no mark at all. Hope this information helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i will use this thread as my problem is just the same.
except there is no way in... that i will get the door open using the key in the door (actually inserting the key)

ive tried with lubricants and all other stuff known to man.

i forgot to turn off the foglights (external foglights mounted by myself, so no beep when they are on and the door is opened)

i can open the trunk with the key (insertion of the key in the lock)

but the drivers-door is a big no no when it comes to opening it up with the key.

i noticed there is a steel cable in each side of the trunk (behind the plastic)
thought they were for manually opening the cab or doors, but it wont budge a millimeter. so i guess they are for something else :)

would appreciate all help i can get as when i called my local mercedes-workshop they only said "oh, so you cant open it with the key? well, then you have to smash the window"

that statement made me wanna smash his... :)

·
Registered
1998 SLK230 240,xxx Miles
7,704 Posts
The cables in the trunk are for manually raising the roof.
did you call 1-800-FOR-MERCedes (1-800-367-6372)
and download an owners manual its in my signature
↓⇓↓⇓↓

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, ive read thru the whole manual without finding anything useful.

And my english isnt that good when it comes to speaking it so ill pass on the calling 1-800-Mercedes-thing ;)

especially as My knowledge in cars is very limited.
I would have a hard time understanding it.

·
Registered
SLK 200 Year 1999 European
213 Posts
Ok, the battery is obviously dead and the keys will not unlock the door. I can open the trunk. (or it was unlocked allready but I doubt it) But the drivers door will not unlock. I tried feeding 12v thru the dome light in the trunk. That only makes the dome light inside the car turn on. But no luck with the lock. The remote doesnt work and the key dosent work. Help

Thanks
Joe Piotrowski
Before coming to the battery of the car check the batteries of the key fob..!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Before coming to the battery of the car check the batteries of the key fob..!
lol. as i stated in my first post..
"i forgot to turn off the foglights."

as in, it drained the battery.

and ofc i switched batteries in the key. as i first thought it was them..

how about reading my post before answering? :)

but thanks for trying

·
Registered
2003 SL500 USA model, Auto Transmission, Stock, Aegean Blue Metallic
1,395 Posts
i will use this thread as my problem is just the same.
except there is no way in... that i will get the door open using the key in the door (actually inserting the key)

ive tried with lubricants and all other stuff known to man.

i forgot to turn off the foglights (external foglights mounted by myself, so no beep when they are on and the door is opened)

i can open the trunk with the key (insertion of the key in the lock)

but the drivers-door is a big no no when it comes to opening it up with the key.

i noticed there is a steel cable in each side of the trunk (behind the plastic)
thought they were for manually opening the cab or doors, but it wont budge a millimeter. so i guess they are for something else :)

would appreciate all help i can get as when i called my local mercedes-workshop they only said "oh, so you cant open it with the key? well, then you have to smash the window"

that statement made me wanna smash his... :)
Is there a keyhole on the passenger door? Will a slim-jim slipped down the window glass grab a lever and open the lock? Is there a way to release the hood by pulling on the release cable,… say by removing the front grill? Just call a locksmith.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is there a keyhole on the passenger door? Will a slim-jim slipped down the window glass grab a lever and open the lock? Is there a way to release the hood by pulling on the release cable,… say by removing the front grill? Just call a locksmith.
no theres is no keyhole on the passenger door.
if you mean the passenger door, then no. the passenger door cant be opened from the inside with the handle. it only opens when pressing the "door-button" on the middlepanel (were the stereo, ashtray and such are)

maybe i can do it on the driver-door though.

dont think i can do that as the release cable are behind the cars steelframe.
and on another note, im not sure i wanna disassemble the car :p

i was asking more if someone did know a simple (not so destructive) way of opening the doors)

but if theres no other solution i guess i have to give it a try.

·
Registered
2000 SLK230 Manual
3 Posts
If you have connected some external fog lights that are permanently connected to the battery, if the switch is left on, then can you dismantle one of these lights and connect a battery in place of the light bulb to provide some power to the dead battery and lock system etc. This should then allow you to use the remote to open the doors and then remove and charge your battery. Make sure you connect the positive of the battery to the positive feed to the lights.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you have connected some external fog lights that are permanently connected to the battery, if the switch is left on, then can you dismantle one of these lights and connect a battery in place of the light bulb to provide some power to the dead battery and lock system etc. This should then allow you to use the remote to open the doors and then remove and charge your battery. Make sure you connect the positive of the battery to the positive feed to the lights.
im actually trying that as we speak. But no luck there either.
The foglight i havent connected the charger to is lighting up, but i still cant open the door.

First i thought it needed to charge for a while but now i have left it on for over an hour. And it still wont open.

Can it be so that i have put - on + and vice verse?
But then the other foglight wouldnt light, would it?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Grounding the "ground" wire to metal on the car may not work, you want to find a brown ground or negative wire to get power to the battery.

The Germans don't think like we do, so that may be your problem.

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
Just a thought
Since you got in the trunk what if you applied power to the PSE unit or try blowing or sucking on the air lines.

A good blow may pop the lock up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts