Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
S600 2002, 550SL 2004, ML350 2006
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to charge the battery of my 2002 S600. The trunk is inoperative. I've read the many previous posts and the excellent encyclopedic piece on the subject.
If I was in the US I'd call MB Road Assistance. I'm however in the Bahamas.
I understand there is no changing point under the hood of the S 600 and have identified the point under the passenger front foot well.
If I was to attach a 12v 10A charger to that point (positive to positive) with the negative to the body will this charge the battery? If not is there a better alternative?
Should I leave the rear defroster on as well?

Thank you

Arthur

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2013 GL550
1,391 Posts
I would like to charge the battery of my 2002 S600. The trunk is inoperative. I've read the many previous posts and the excellent encyclopedic piece on the subject.
If I was in the US I'd call MB Road Assistance. I'm however in the Bahamas.
I understand there is no changing point under the hood of the S 600 and have identified the point under the passenger front foot well.
If I was to attach a 12v 10A charger to that point (positive to positive) with the negative to the body will this charge the battery? If not is there a better alternative?
Should I leave the rear defroster on as well?

Thank you

Arthur
My battery ran out yesterday and here's what I did

On your key FOB, push that little button on the back that releases the mini key. You'll have to use that to open the trunk. The trunk won't auto-open, so you'll have to lift it up as you're turning the key

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2013 GL550
1,391 Posts
Thank you. I did try that without success.
Arthur
Did you turn the key clockwise? You need to leave it in and lift up as your turning it. If that doesn't let it go up, you've got an issue for sure

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tried clockwise and anti clockwise. No luck - any suggestions re charging a battery with a locked truck?

Arthur

·
Registered
W209 CLK500 & W220 S430
320 Posts
Go to your local auto parts store . . .

Pick up a port to port jumper.

Looks like two lighters !

Red, *<:){)-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all.
I used the passenger footwell charging point. This is accessed by pulling down the carpet to reveal a Styrofoam pad. Remove that and find an aluminum cover held by three bolts. Remove this and a post can be found to which the positive connection with a battery charger can be made and the negative can be placed somewhere on the chassis/engine block. The charger can be left on for an hour or so. The car should then start!. I attach a picture of the post under the aluminum plate

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 E350 4MATIC (W211)
90 Posts
Thank you all.
I used the passenger footwell charging point. This is accessed by pulling down the carpet to reveal a Styrofoam pad. Remove that and find an aluminum cover held by three bolts. Remove this and a post can be found to which the positive connection with a battery charger can be made and the negative can be placed somewhere on the chassis/engine block. The charger can be left on for an hour or so. The car should then start!. I attach a picture of the post under the aluminum plate
Is this location the same 2000, S500. I want to keep this information just in case mine went dead in coming winter. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would suggest taking a look - not very difficult to find when one knows where to look - and post the answer.

Arthur

·
Registered
5 Posts
in order to get the trunk to respond to the key you must spary and spary and spray the key cykinder with something like c 56 ...it took mine 3 days before it finally opened ...its because we hardly ever use the key to open the trunk and the mechasim is lazy

·
Registered
1989 300E
38 Posts
Is this location the same 2000, S500. I want to keep this information just in case mine went dead in coming winter. Thanks.
Hey Klvaleri, I know it's been a couple of years since this post was put up, but just in case you subscribed to this thread and you're still following the forum, to answer your question.....yes. I have a 2000 S500 and it's under the passenger foot well as described. It's a very easy two minute job (maybe one!) to get at it with a 10mm socket and extension.

Portera, many thanks for posting your experience with it! I looked all over under the hood, but was stumped until I read your reply.

Cheers!
Wendell

1 - 13 of 13 Posts