Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked for youtube videos, I can't find a way to get my trunk open to change my battery! I'd rather not have to pay a locksmith, though I think my insurance might cover "road side assistance" and bring someone out? Any ideas, surely others have had this issue??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I were to have a roadside assistance come to my vehicle where could I have them try and jumpstart it from? 2008 E350

·
Registered
2014 E550 4Matic
71 Posts
Can't you roll the car back in neutral and then have it jumped?

·
Registered
W219 320CDI -07 W220 320CDI -01 W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
1,102 Posts
There should be emergency release for shifter in all models, read users manual (I have shifter in steering column so I don't know).

I referred that 'terminal' in engine bay in my first post...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There should be emergency release for shifter in all models, read users manual (I have shifter in steering column so I don't know).

I referred that 'terminal' in engine bay in my first post...
You referred but no picture of where it is in the engine bay.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,555 Posts
You can pick up a plug to go in to the cig lighter socket, then put battery charger wires to that before you plug it in .Cig light needs to be live all the time .

·
Registered
1999 Vito 113 638.114
39 Posts
Plug into cigarette lighter with battery charger (and turn key to accessories position if the cigarette lighter doesn't work with engine off to enable it to complete circuit to battery)
Usually the cigarette lighter is supplying current from the battery - in your case you want it to go the other way.
Once you have some power to your battery, the gear shift should be able to be unlocked and the vehicle rolled out and the jumper wires then more solidly connected to the charge point under the bonnet. Your cigarette light socket is only capable of sustaining about 10 amps, and not hundreds used for starting. Don't be tempted to start the engine as you will blow the cigarette lighter fuse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Plug into cigarette lighter with battery charger (and turn key to accessories position if the cigarette lighter doesn't work with engine off to enable it to complete circuit to battery)
Usually the cigarette lighter is supplying current from the battery - in your case you want it to go the other way.
Once you have some power to your battery, the gear shift should be able to be unlocked and the vehicle rolled out and the jumper wires then more solidly connected to the charge point under the bonnet. Your cigarette light socket is only capable of sustaining about 10 amps, and not hundreds used for starting. Don't be tempted to start the engine as you will blow the cigarette lighter fuse.
My key won't turn at all inside the car. I'm not sure the cigarette lighter port will charge without turning the key. Furthermore, I don't have one of those chargers.... I'd have to buy one off amazon and that may take days.

·
Registered
W219 320CDI -07 W220 320CDI -01 W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
1,102 Posts
You referred but no picture of where it is in the engine bay.
Common sense (and google search) bro! Or one could again read that owners manual too... ;)

Jump start point has always + sign on it and it is usually red on color. Mine is located over the passenger front wheel

·
Registered
2014 E63S
25 Posts
I my 2010 E550 and my 2014 E63, there is a jump point above the passenger side front wheel well, closer to the windshield. Usually it is a covered point with a piece of Red plastic that has a plus sign on it. You should be able to hook a set of jumper cables, a battery charger, or even one of those new instant-jump kits to those points (the positive and a ground point) and you should have enough power to actuate the trunk release from the inside of the driver's side door.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts