Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,729 Posts
Kevin,

I can say with confidence it doesn't work. I recently tried it again a few weeks ago on a Yuasa battery that had sat too long in a R129 without being recharged.

The charger goes through all the motions and ultimately tells me the cycle is complete (battery saved), BUT what my tester tells me with each desulfation cycle is that it builds up internal resistance. I suppose that is probably due to sulfation falling off the plates and building up at the bottom of the battery.

A battery simply goes bad with time, whether used or not regardless of type. The only battery that can kept indefinitely is the kind that is dry charged at the factory, but the acid has NOT been added yet. As soon as you remove the airtight foil on the battery prior to adding the acid, the lifetime clock starts ticking.
I was fooling around with this since I got my new battery tester. I had a battery that tested bad and tried the "repair" mode on it. Same result as Sbaert. LOL.........every cycle just puts another nail into the coffin.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,332 Posts
I was fooling around with this since I got my new battery tester. I had a battery that tested bad and tried the "repair" mode on it. Same result as Sbaert. LOL.........every cycle just puts another nail into the coffin.
That's why the feature to desulfate batteries has proven not to be science that can be replicated. It's sometimes works, but mostly not....much like auto voodoo & snake oil.

Kevin

41 - 42 of 42 Posts