Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
CLK 220 CDI Coupe (2007)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 CLK constantly suffers from a low battery levels as I simply don’t do the distance. However I use on my ’63 MGB and my Yamaha FJR bike a pair of Accumate chargers. The FJR is a 03 model and still has its original battery 7 years on, which I feel proves their worth. I don’t have to disconnect the Negative terminal on either vehicle to use them and would like to do the same with my CLK. The question is it a wise route to take? Your thoughts please.

Richard

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,842 Posts
Lot of battery chargers have misleading names. The standard charger will charge to about 15 V, what if left will boil the battery dry.
The trickle charger is low current charger who will just take longer to boil the battery dry. It might be safe to plug overnight but not for week long vacation.
Battery conditioners use sophisticated programs to play with charging and discharging at high frequency what reverse the process of plates aging.
Battery maintainer or float charger charges the battery to set voltage (13.5v) and holds it there. This is the charger you can use for long periods like vacations.
That said the battery in our ML was never charged, removed from the car only for other work twice, never had water added, was left for 5 weeks with no charger and alarm on on several occasions, yet it still lasted for full 12 years of service.
It is not the first time I experienced that neglected batteries last longer, than those charged on the shelf.

·
Registered
CLK 220 CDI Coupe (2007)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A big thank-you

Thanks Fellas

Glad that I am on the right track; can’t be doing with a flat battery 3 times –a-week just because it’s dark at both ends of the day!
Many thanks for your advice; I shall hard-wire one in ASAP!

Take care
Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts