Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! I've been enjoying this forum for a while but registered only the other day. Soon I'll be taking delivery of a 1983 300D Turbo Diesel. Like most of you I hope to do most of at least the basic maintenance and repairs myself. However, currently I don't own much in the way of tools. I'd appreciate hearing the forum's thoughts regarding a list of essential tools that one ought to have on hand in order to maintain properly a car such as mine. I did a search but didn't find a post directly on point.

I know that a lot of members seem to take great pleasure in assembling (or even fabricating themselves!) an impressive array of specialty tools, but at this point I'm really interested in the "can't live withouts".

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
With a basic metric socket set, with wobbles and extensions, also a combination wrench set, you can do much.
Metric allen wrenches.
To do a valve adjustment, you'll need two 14mm open end wrenches. I use a bent set, but a friend has done the job with stubbies.
Any particular job you're looking at?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rmac. Since I've not yet received the car I don't know exactly what jobs I'll need to undertake other than the basic filters and fluids change. I may attempt a valve adjustment early on as well. I suppose I'm asking about the tools in anticipation of having to make repairs down the road.

·
Registered
1981 240D California version
169 Posts
Craftsman 260 pc. Mechanics Tool Set - Model 34260 at Sears.com

Trust me, spend the money - especially while it is on sale. This will save you from trying to make it to the auto parts store (because they are the only place open after 9pm) to buy a $25 wrench that should actually cost $5 so that you can continue working that night.. This is the kit I have and it the seriously one of the best things I have ever bought. After this kit, I'd get another set of metric wrenches, a torque wrench and misc. bits and etc.. This kit will work for 90% of what you will need. Splurge on this one and then go to Harbor freight for those items you will only need to use three times in your life. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1981 240D California version
169 Posts
the advice above on the big kit is sound, but you'll never use the SAE stuff if all you're wrenching on is a benz. I personally don't own a single SAE wrench and I have a big kit.
Yeah I guess that's true for MB only-- but I have a Saturn wagon and an S-15 also. I assume that maybe some other W123 owners might have an american car too that they do work on? I have found a few nuts and bolts here and there that SAE fits better on the 240D. I don't know if it is from a previous repair or whatever..
They also have other kits that are smaller. But at least they are quality tools and if you buy in bulk, you save a ton of $$ For your base tools, the cheap ones are not worth it in my opinion. The one I pointed out is a sweet deal at $199.
Don't be hating on Sears man.

·
Registered
85 300D
285 Posts
the only good use i found for one of my SAE wrenches was to bend it with a torch to remove a primer pump lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts