Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
I'm doing some touch-up on rust repair on a 107 painted w/ paint code 623 - Hellelfebein. I got some great factory MB spray touch up paint, but I am wondering - is there a base coat that goes under this? Maybe something yellow (from what I can tell so far, this is my guess).
Thanks

·
Registered
1973 450SL
651 Posts
Touch-up paint is made to be used on it's own, not part of a multistep process. Is this a metallic? What problem are you seeing?
Metallics are a problem to touch up because it's impossible to get the metallic to lay down the same way it did when originally painted.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,345 Posts
Not a metallic. It is a single stage paint. Nothing but primer under it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's not metallic, and it's not clear coat, but from my sanding, it looks like there's something yellow - a base coat of color, i assumed, between the primer and the top coat. In any event, on it's own, this shipped from europe, very $$$ mb factory touch up paint doesn't match well.

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,345 Posts
Just trying to get him to fill in the profile like everyone else. It was a joke.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not interested in filling out a profile. I'm not looking to develop relationships on the internets.
Thanks to all of you experts, nevertheless.

·
Registered
1973 450SL
651 Posts
You could lie about the particulars like some of the rest do. Just give year and model.
On the other hand, you DID need us enough to register a userid. Back in 2007.

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,345 Posts
I'm not interested in filling out a profile. I'm not looking to develop relationships on the internets.
Thanks to all of you experts, nevertheless.
Nothing to do with relationships. Being able to look at the profile and see what car we are talking about and if anyone might be in your area who knows a good shop or parts source. Some own multiple models so a user ID is useless.

How about a big kiss before you leave.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,510 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts