Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
c320
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there
my c320 every now and then gets a bas warning light. Have had this checked and it was nothing and all brakes are fine but when i go over a bump (not all the time) it pops on.. is this a common fault? its a 2000 c320?
thanks!

·
Registered
C220 CDI T A & A200 CDI A
263 Posts
Before taking it to dealership (if you are not under warranty), I would check the brake light switch. If the switch is not working perfectly, you get the BAS warning.

·
Registered
2004 W203 C180K Elegance Sport Sedan & 2005 W209 CLK280 Elegance Coupe
104 Posts
i had this problem before also. its a very common world wide problem on 01-03 cars. its a faulty wiring loom and the dealership can replace this under warrenty in under an hour.
after that is done, its perfect

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
mobeyone - 3/18/2005 4:13 PM

hi there
my c320 every now and then gets a bas warning light. Have had this checked and it was nothing and all brakes are fine but when i go over a bump (not all the time) it pops on.. is this a common fault? its a 2000 c320?
thanks!
Bearing in mind all of the above posts are more likely, I did in fact have a faulty sensor at one wheel and it sent ESP and BAS into a tailspin.

It was a yaw sensor intended to detect understeer.

·
Registered
c320
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brabus - 3/20/2005 2:55 AM

i had this problem before also. its a very common world wide problem on 01-03 cars. its a faulty wiring loom and the dealership can replace this under warrenty in under an hour.
after that is done, its perfect
thanks for all the above guys!
its due to go in for service a shortly so will save it till then.
re the above,, where is the brake light switch located? and can i do this myself?
thanks!

·
Registered
2004 W203 C180K Elegance Sport Sedan & 2005 W209 CLK280 Elegance Coupe
104 Posts
what is the brake light switch you are referring to?

and no i dont think you should do this yourself, better get the Merc ppl to do it under warranty

·
Registered
c320
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
eerola - 3/19/2005 5:29 PM

Before taking it to dealership (if you are not under warranty), I would check the brake light switch. If the switch is not working perfectly, you get the BAS warning.
hi i was referring to this post?
thanks!

·
Registered
C220 CDI T A & A200 CDI A
263 Posts
mobeyone - 3/20/2005 8:07 AM

...where is the brake light switch located? and can i do this myself?...
Brake light switch is usually located next to your brake pedal. I have not accessed it in my C, but I have worked on it in my wife's SLK. It is a module (about $10 or so), replacing it is very simple and safe. It can be done by anybody who knows how to use a torx screwdriver (the panel under the dashboard has torx screws).

If you do a search to BenzWorld with "brake/ stop light/ lamp switch" and "BAS/ ESP", you will find some project stories to give an idea about the work. They are not neccessarily for the W203, but I believe they can be applied pretty much 1:1 to the C too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts