Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 MB ML320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have an 02 ML320, the BAS ETS and ESP always come on, seems like they generally come on when its wet out. When the lights come on, my brake lights stop working, but all other lights work.

Generally if i drive my vehicle a short length, the brake lights will begin to work again, however for the last few days the BAS ETS and ESP lights have been continuously illuminated, and i haven't been able to get my brake lights to function..

Any tips to what it could be?
Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts

Sounds like you need a new brake light switch.
It's a part that installs under your brake pedal.
The part is cheap, labor is a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 1975 450SEL, 1979 280SE
377 Posts
I agree. Had the same problem with my E320. Brake light switch has multi functions and even my cruise control quit working. Replacing it fixed all. It's a weak design that is known to fail. Not too difficult to replace. You do have to set the plunger when installing so that the pedal contacts the switch properly. As I recall, you just pull the plunger outward, and it then self-adjusts. Check on that though. It has been a couple of years since I did mine. It's all been working great since then! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 1975 450SEL, 1979 280SE
377 Posts
Well, for instance, the cruise control would have to be connected to the brake light switch to be able to disengage when the brakes were applied. Also, the ABS would have to be involved for similar reasons. So yes, all of these systems are routed through the brake light switch. When the contacts in the switch become dirty and burned, which they do, then the other systems start to shut themselves down. I had this happen to my vehicle and replacing the brake light switch fixed it all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts