Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
6,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
For what it's worth...

On Saturday I replaced the brake fluid reservoir "cap", which is really the cap along with a float switch for the indicator light in the instrument cluster.

I drove the ML on Sunday for about 20 miles or so. After about 15 miles, I got the dreaded BAS/ESP/ETS/ABS *and* Brake warning lights. Understand that I've probably driven it a good hundred miles prior without anything other than the BAS light, which I expect because the SDS says the steering angle sensor is bad.

The only thing in this equation that's changed is the brake fluid level switch.

I disconnected the switch as soon as I got home. This makes no sense at all base don my understanding of the system, as the brake level switch should just cause a warning light and nothing else.

I'll continue to drive the car on occasion and report back if I get the warning lights again.

Dan

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
984 Posts
LWB250:

How's your ML doing - figured this out yet ?

One thing I did made this issue ho away - removing & cleaning all 4 abs wheel speed sensors.

3 of 4 had major 'crust' - dirt road crud built up between sensor head & toothed hub unit - so naturally this was blocking a clear magnetic signal from being sent.

I removed all 4 & blew out with compressed air & reinstalled them..

Lights & beeping went away for good.

I did get "3 light salute" again (no beeps) and code read for a defective LR speed sensor so I replaced it.

Hope this help or that you'd totally nailed down this issue.

Cheers - David in Texas

41 - 42 of 42 Posts