Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 W210 E55 AMG, 2002 SLK32 AMG, 2007 W164 ML320 CDI
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all so about 2 hrs ago I was driving the car and getting out of my driveway fine. It shifts out of park no problem and I just drive the car normally. After driving for about 5 minutes the ESP ABS and BAS light came out and the warning came on the cluster and I was driving down the street so I didnt stop the car and look and it was only 3 more minutes away from where I need to go so I just keep driving. Then I arrived at the store went into get something for like 5 minutes and come back out and start the car. The 3 warnings came on right away and then I try to shift the car out of park but I can't anymore. I then put a stick in that little hole below the D on the shifter gate and shift out of it and drive home. The car drives and shift fine and smooth so have any of you guys have the same experience? I know there are a lot about the ESP ABS BAS lights on the forum but I cant find any that leads to the shifting out of park problem. Thank you so much for all of your helps!! The car is a 2000 E55 with 90k miles on it.

·
Premium Member
07 Silverado CC Z71, 10 Chevy Tahoe LT, 12 BMW K1600GLT
5,812 Posts
I know there are a lot about the ESP ABS BAS lights on the forum but I cant find any that leads to the shifting out of park problem.
Sure, but I'd still suspect the brake light switch. Not an expensive item, anyway.

Unless somebody more experienced come up with a different suggestion. :eek:

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Search for brake light switch. Hopefully that's your problem, since it's easy and cheap to fix.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Based on your description, and assuming there are no other symptoms/warnings, I'd be shocked beyong belief if it's anything *other* than the brake light switch.

Get it from the dealer, it's inexpensive and there are problems reported with aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
2000 E430 (W210)
21 Posts
I agree with the other comments. When all three of those lights (BAS ABS ESP) come on, it is extremely likely that it is your brake light switch.

I had all three of those light come on in my 2000 E430 and the brake light switch replacement took care of it. Mine would come out of park, but would sporadically illuminate those lights (BAS ABS ESP) when I would apply the brakes.

I would recommend replacing the brake light switch. It will cost about $15 or $20 from the dealer, so no need to go aftermarket. Like the others said there are DIYs on this issue. It is very common.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,105 Posts
LOL, probably $1-150....for something that you and I could do....very slowly
in an hour the first time. thereafter, probably about 15 mins. r-

·
Registered
W210 1996 E320 Smoke Silver. [W124 1990 300CE Artic White - Sold].
814 Posts
Wow, the thread got 5 stars for 5 uninamous diagnoses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts