Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
current fleet: 1996 s500; 1997 BMW 328ic; 2000 Nissan Frontier; 1966 AC Cobra
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bargain of the day: 1996 s500 for sale

I traded in my s500 for a low mileage BMW - Hope I did the right thing. Anyway, just wanted you guys to know where the s500 is so that you can pursue it if you are interested:

CARS inc, Tampa Fl
Contact the owner - Judd Cook

Here is his cell: 813-431-4022

Here is the dealer link: C.A.R.S. Inc., 1107 W Kennedy Blvd, Tampa, FL, Used Cars for Sale, 813-431-4022

Judd is a great guy and you will enjoy doing business with him - straight up and honest in every respect

Not sure what he is asking for the car - I know he has it for sale, he did not want to wholesale it because of its pristine condition.
  • Silver - one door ding and that is it, rest of exterior is flawless
  • Grey interior - flawless, can hardly tell the car has been used
  • 18" AMG wheels
  • new Pirelli tires
  • recent oil service
  • recent coolant flush and replace with Peak G05
146k miles

Good luck

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is not listed yet on the dealer's website.
suggest you simply give Judd a call -

he may have photos to send you.

A great car is only a phone call away

good luck

E.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
From the dealers website:

"WE HAVE DEDICATED OUR DEALERSHIP TO OUR CHRISTIAN MINISTRY, serving the Lord by giving Testimony TO EACH OF OUR CLIENTS AND FRIENDS and Demonstrating a High level of Business Ethics and Integrity"

Perhaps they are the only honest used car dealer in the whole world :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I keep thinking about an E38 - what's it like relative to a W140?
They are both nice cars and a pleasure to own and drive. The W140 had a superior sound system (by alot); especially the bass tones. E38 CD changer has easier access

I liked the W140 close assist - mine worked perfectly after I adjusted the pump. The E38 has close assist only for the trunk. E38 doors seem heavier

E38 door stop mechanism is simple; the W140 has a complicated spring mechanism - mine on the drivers door exploded and that put the only blemish on the exterior of the W140. The explosion caused a door ding the size of a dime, but mine is an outie not an innie.

The W140 trunk seems larger even though the specs say the E38 trunk volume is 2 cf larger.

W140 s500 motor has more torque and approx 50 more horsepower; even though the W140 is heavier I think it comes off the line quicker. The E38 may compare favorably to an s420. And, my personal preference I would NEVER consider an s320 - too weak and anemic; but then again I am addicted to the thrust of my 1966 AC Cobra.

W140 highway mileage is better: I routinely got 25mpg on the expressway at 75mph without really trying. On multiple occassions I got 30mpg on 450 mile stretches (flat roads, steady foot, AC off (fall or winter trips).

E38 city mileage is much much better than the s500; just takes too much energy to get the s500 rolling; but once it is rolling the s500 seems to be geared better for high speeds (ie lower rpm).

W140 had self leveling and I liked it; I dont think the E38 does.

E38 has rain sensor wipers, the W140 did not

E38 locks all doors when the car starts to move; I dont like that; I will lock my own doors thank you; the W140 did not do this. Autolockinig is just something else to break/fail; especially when coupled with a device that senses a car crash and auto - UNLOCKS the doors - all extremely unnecessary in my opinion.

I did not have to sell my W140 - it was and is a wonderful car. I simply bought 100k miles by purchasing the E38

Hope this helps - If you want a good w140 contact the dealer, link is above; I will sell you my E38 - you make the offer, but better make it good.

:)

·
Registered
1994 Benz S320 SWB / 1986 Porsche 911 Targa / 1998 Benz CL 500
1,290 Posts
I keep thinking about an E38 - what's it like relative to a W140?
I love both cars; BMW E38 and MB W140 are both ahead of time manufactured vehicles but lets look at the comparison above from another perspective:)

- E38 will have all its pixels fall of on every gadget; board computer, phone ( if fitted ) and instrument cluster where as W140 will be pretty dandy. Replacement of the mentioned will be pretty costly, repairable but not by many.

- E38 will have a chain grinding noise, all BMW V8 s with a VANOS have it, you will have to replace the VANOS costing USD 600 each ( 2 ) exclusive of the labor where this will be like "What", "Huh" when you own a W140.

- Due to severe oxidation from the evaporator one day your stereo will die in a E38 where as none heard of in a W140.

- E38 is like a minefield compared to the W140; unidentified sensors will continuously fail along with shut downs of various systems of the car without a reason ( on board computer, monitor, phone, amplifier, electric seats )

- Unless you replace your taillights once every couple of years you will be sick and tired of hearing a "Gong" on the check control screen warning you of a taillight bulb failure in a E38 where you will discover that your bulbs are fine but the taillight circuit board has failed.

E38 is a VERY FUN CAR TO DRIVE and EXTREMELY RESPONSIVE FOR A 4 DOOR ON THE ROAD but I guess a bit more fragile and sanity tester compared to the W140.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts