Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
'84 SEC EuroCoupe, '85 200T EuroWagon, 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
The Story of the Banning of Jimi Hendrix’s ‘Electric Ladyland’ Album Cover

In November 1968, a handful of British record stores banned the Jimi Hendrix Experience’s new album from their shelves due to its cover art. The unusual thing is, Hendrix probably hated the Electric Ladyland photograph in question even more than those retailers did.
Saying the unflattering image of 19 naked women, which you can see here in all its NSFW glory, had “nothing to do with him,” Hendrix immediately made it pretty clear that his U.K. label, Track Records, was behind the artwork.
“Folks in Britain are kicking against the cover. Man, I don’t blame them. I wouldn’t have put this picture on the sleeve myself, but it wasn’t my decision. It’s mostly all bulls—.”
According to John Perry’s Electric Ladyland book, while Hendrix was otherwise occupied overseas, label boss Chris Stamp sent a photographer to a local speakeasy and offered the girls £5 to appear topless (or 10 to go fully nude) for the photo shoot.
Nobody involved seemed particularly impressed with the final results. As one of the models, Reine Sutcliffe, told Melody Maker, “It makes us look like a load of old tarts. It’s rotten. Everyone looked great, but the picture makes us look old and tired. We were trying to look too sexy, but it didn’t work out.”
The idea, of course, was to generate publicity, but as Perry points out, the ban was limited to “a few provincial record ships in York, Hull and Bristol,” and their decision sparked only minor coverage in the country’s tabloid papers. Besides, Electric Ladyland was one of the most eagerly anticipated albums of the year and needed no help selling in large numbers.
More info @ http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jimi-hendrix-banned-cover/?trackback=tsmclip

And a 121 more (hardly any titties, SAD) @ http://ultimateclassicrock.com/best-albums-classic-rock-artists/#photogallery-1=121

·
Registered
S Klass 500
3,681 Posts
I agree with Reine Sutcliffe and Hendrix, Track Records failed, one to ask the photographer 'are you experienced' and thinking Electric Ladyland had something to do with a sad sacks sale on the Aberdeen docks.

Attachments

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,416 Posts
^ Sublime album, I have the Mary Whitehouse special edition, with the unreleased track Moar Matron. Did you know they say Bryan Ferry is obsessed by biscuits? the they obviously oblivious the attachment disorder with biscuits, is in fact a Scottish cultural tradition.
I have an impressive Roxy collection myself, and have seen them live more than once. one of my all time faves, without a doubt, and Country Life one of their best efforts. Is "biscuits" some manner of sexual euphemism across the pond?

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,201 Posts
Sticky biscuit is I am lead to believe - i went to a state school) played by public schoolboys wherein they jerk off onto a biscuit (cookie) and the last one to, erm, finish, has to eat the biscuit.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
2006 S500 4matic
4 Posts
I don't have a photo of it handy but google Mom's Apple Pie's original LP cover from the very early '70s where it showed a very specific body part in an apple pie with a piece missing.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I don't have a photo of it handy but google Mom's Apple Pie's original LP cover from the very early '70s where it showed a very specific body part in an apple pie with a piece missing.
EXPERIENCE 1970s ROCK CULTURE!
Mom’s Apple Pie was a ten piece band who emulated the sound of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears.
While I’m sure that they were all fine musicians and they did reach some level of success; there are no notable songs or hits from this group.

However, in 1972 they did go down in Rock History with their debut LP cover art depicting a blouse-unbuttoned hottie in her apron offering up a scrumptious pie while licking her lips.
A very innocent yet provocative cover that went unnoticed – for a while.
Once censored, the clever artist used this negative to turn into a positive by pouring cement and closing off the “offending” area with barb-wire and driving the censorship home with the American flag flying proudly.
We now see tears flowing down her cheek as two cops peer/leer in through the back window.

Censorship overkill combatted with artistic overkill. Nice
!

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,297 Posts
Umm...yep, in that first picture, there's a little more than immediately meets the eye about that pie. That "little more" is itself often referred to as "pie".

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,201 Posts
sad sacks sale on the Aberdeen docks.
I used to work for a startup subsea contractor that had its offices on Waterloo Quay in Aberdeen docks. You ain't seen nuttin til you've been down there after dark...

21 - 36 of 36 Posts