Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just performed a Automatic Transmission drain on my '91 Mercedes 190E 2.3. Following the service manual i had to remove the "filler pipe" banjo screw for drainage.

Now that i am putting everything back together i'm noticing the washer for the filler pipe banjo looks beaten up.

A couple questions:

1. I was able to find a replacement washer but the hole diameter is slightly bigger than the old washer; there is a slight bit of play when the banjo is inserted in the washer. Does that matter?

2. Considering the banjo screw is hollow with side-facing holes, when screwing the banjo screw back in does it matter how i do it? I was planning on inserting and screwing in till tight but does it matter how the side-facing holes in the screw are facing?

Thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
The Inside diameter (ID) of the copper crush washer for the banjo bolt is very critical.
If too big a washer, the bolt will leak.
The crush washers should be renewed every time you open the bolt and it must be soft copper
I'd head on to MB dealer and pick up the correct washer (under $1), and torque to spec.

·
Registered
352 Posts
There's nothing quite like having the right parts for the job, BUT , if the washer is very close , and you are able to keep it fairly well centered about the banjo bolt as you tighten the bolt , then it is unlikely to cause a problem. You will certainly know if it is not sealing well , by the puddle under the car .........

If you inspect the banjo, you will see a large groove all the way around the inside of it. that is where the oil flows when the bolt it done up tight. So orientation is not important.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Inside diameter (ID) of the copper crush washer for the banjo bolt is very critical.
If too big a washer, the bolt will leak.
The crush washers should be renewed every time you open the bolt and it must be soft copper
I'd head on to MB dealer and pick up the correct washer (under $1), and torque to spec.
I was at my local MB Dealer here in London, ON and they said the washer was not made anymore; my vehicle is too old. So i had no choice.

Is there anywhere online I can order the correct part?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I should mention my old banjo washer size and new washer measurements:

old washer - inner = .48" / 12.19mm | outer = .72" / 18.28mm

new washer - inner = .50" / 12.70mm | outer = .91" / 23.11mm

In the attached photos you can see a shot of the existing banjo bolt with old washer, then a shot of the banjo within the old washer, and the final shot of the banjo within the new washer.

The new washer is slightly bigger as you can read from the measurements above.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As long as it's copper (looks like yellow zinked steel in the pic), you'll be fine.
Im doing a search online for copper crush washer. They make mention of 12mm, 15mm ,etc. Are they measuring the outside diameter or the inside hole diameter?

·
Registered
85 Posts
they are sized as I.D. A 12mm will have a slightly larger than 12mm I.D. Usually, with bikes and such, a banjo bolt uses a standard flat copper washer. Actually, two of them.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they are sized as I.D. A 12mm will have a slightly larger than 12mm I.D. Usually, with bikes and such, a banjo bolt uses a standard flat copper washer. Actually, two of them.
Oh i see. Ok.

I finally located a replacement copper crush washer. It fits nicely around the banjo bolt but is a little smaller in outer diameter.

Is there an exact torque value when screwing the banjo bolt back on? Or just screw back on until firm? I dont want to ruin anything.

Thanks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One last thing guys.

When i ordered the new transmission filter it came with pan rubber gasket and an aluminum crush washer. Both the gasket and washer did not match my '91 Merc 190E old parts and so were useless when trying to apply to the old banjo and existing oil pan.

The new tranny filter did have its screw line up properly but i was concerned how the filter is supposed to sit in place. Are the 2 round openings which face the car supposed to slid INTO the holes of the car? When i screw the filter into place it seems like it just rests against the metal of the car as opposed to slipping in. I could be wrong but thats how it felt.

Is this the proper way the filter is to sit against the car? Again the screws fit in properly and are tight but i was imagining the tranny filter lips inserted into the opening of the car lips so that the rubber gaskets on the new filter served a more useful purpose.

Thanks for clearing that up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
fuel filter banjo bolt

Hello, I recently changed the fuel filter on my son's 1993 Merc 190e. I forgot to note where the washers went on the banjo bolt for the filter. Are there washers on both sides, just top, just bottom?
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts