Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see an online advert for a 2006 R320 CDI SE L with 105,000 miles on the clock and "CV joint noise" without indicating whether it's front or rear, nearside or offside. Before I 'phone the dealer …

… best case and worst case scenarios, what might I pay for this to be addressed? Would worst case be an axle?

(Service departments of my local suppliers are closed for the weekend.)

… rear ball joints do get noisy on the R, ML, GL. No fix other than to replace it, I believe they press out …
… From what I saw, it looked like it pressed in, but the new one I ordered, has a screw on nut/flange.

Hopefully, I can remove the old one and install the new one without removing the control arm.

At 110K miles, there's going to be some squeaks.
CV joint boot failure. $400 to replace that at dealer.
check the drive shaft CV joint boots at regular intervals. This is not particular to Mercedes, but ANY car with CV joints. The boots are a consumable part, like tires, batteries, air springs, etc., and WILL eventually wear out (especially the front outers). When they crack open, the joint loses its grease and gains moisture and dirt. If the boot is not soon replaced, destruction of the joint soon follows.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I 'phoned the dealer, he could tell me nothing more than it's noisy.

Ballpark UK cost to supply and replace an axle, anyone?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts