Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '01 200K failed our National Car Test (NCT) last week due to worn front lower ball joints and a rusty looking rear brake pipe (just surface rust I think).
Have ordered the ball joints, it seems simple enough to remove them with a couple of hammers but what is the technique for getting them out from behind the brake disk shield?

Thanks

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,471 Posts
Pretty straight forward to remove, one good tip is as the ball joints are on a taper fit hit the body of the arm that the ball joints fits in hard with a couple of bangs of a hammer and it should free the rust and pop up. If is doesnt move you can free the vetical fixin by tapping the top with a hammer too or use a ball joint seperator to lever it off.

·
Registered
2000, 430CLK Cabriolet
540 Posts
Replaced my front lower ball joints last year.

I have a pneumatic pickle fork tool, and a big hammer, and I didn't use either.
I used a ball joint separator. No need to beat the cr_p out of your car. It's on ebay for about $25. I also use it to separate tie rods, etc. It's a handy tool to have, and not pricey.

As far as removing the ball joint after you have broken it free from its tapered perch, well, that will take prying and swearing, but you'll get it. The back plate does get in the way. I used a small crowbar to eventually wedge the thing out. Looks like it's going to be impossible, but it's not.

My notes show a torque value on the ball joint nut 105 Nm.

Link:
19mm Ball Joint Separator Removal Tool ( Mercedes,BMW,VW Audi...) | eBay

·
Registered
2002 CLK320 convertible, 50K miles, ex. flood vehicle
7 Posts
I found the best way to replace the front ball joints is to remove the nut on the upper ball joints. This will allow you to pivot the whole assembly forward giving you great access tothe two nuts that you will need to loosen to get the joint out. Then use a screw type scissor seperator like this: Mercedes BMW Ball Joint Tie Rod End Separator Remover | eBay

When reassembling, make sure to insert the bottom first and line up the little pins. Put the lower nut on but dont tighten. Then rotate the assembly and put on the top lower joint nut. Then the upper ball joint nut and then tighten all three.

Good luck, is pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
'00 CLK430 Cabrio
52 Posts
I used a 2-jaw puller on mine and it worked great.

As mentioned above, it often will help a bit to gently hit the knuckle with a light mallet. This is a light job (at least compared to my other vehicle) and should not require that you resort to a torch or beating the snot out of it.

I also removed the brake caliper and hung it from the coil spring, and removed the disc and dust shield. The dust shield is fastened by 3 (maybe 4) allen bolts.
IMO, the few extra minutes spent getting the brake components out of the way is worth it for clean access to the ball joint.

Otherwise, it's an easy job. 35-40 minutes per side.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2000, 430CLK Cabriolet
540 Posts
I used a 2-jaw puller on mine and it worked great.
I also removed the brake caliper and hung it from the coil spring, and removed the disc and dust shield. The dust shield is fastened by 3 (maybe 4) allen bolts.
IMO, the few extra minutes spent getting the brake components out of the way is worth it for clean access to the ball joint.

Otherwise, it's an easy job. 35-40 minutes per side.

Good luck.
That really is the way to go on this job. If I ever do it again, I'm taking off the dust shield.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I started last night, got this far :

Chanced popping the joint with a couple of hammers (worked in the past for me), I beat it about for a while, admitted defeat and reassembled.

Today, armed with a ball joint separator, v.easy ..."pop"! Didn't remove the caliper or shield today, absolutely no problems taking out the balljoint with them in place (confused as to why people have issues with clearance actually). Not sure if this makes a difference or not but I popped the vertical shaft first then hammered out the horizontal. Then put the new one in in that order.

Thanks for all the help/advice!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts