Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
190E 2.6 , 1996 E300
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
&*&^*!$*&%&*!#$%!#$%&!#*&)#!$*)(!

Anyone else experience this?
I'm at 180K ('91 190E 2.6) and it snapped just 1 mile before I get on the turnpike which I usually
drive around 85 mph.

Scared the hell out of me.

ssb[:(!][xx(]

· Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,803 Posts
[?] Darn those Mercedes engineers, can't design a rubber part to last 12 years and 180,...

[?] Darn those Mercedes engineers, can't design a rubber part to last 12 years and 180,000 miles! [8D]

For cars our age, an annual under carriage inspection is pretty mandatory. Especially since there are so many links, both rubber, plastic and metal, in the steering and rear suspension, and rubber flex discs in the drive shaft.

· Registered
2002 E320W4
238 Posts
my friend has all the rubber under the car replaced about a month ago. it is an 87 190D ...

my friend has all the rubber under the car replaced about a month ago. it is an 87 190D with 250k miles. they were just starting to crack. easy winters and humid summers are good on rubber.

· Registered
190E 2.6 , 1996 E300
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not complaining!

NJ doesn't check visually, they shake the hell out of your car, if it stays up you pass. My car was from Buffalo, NY....tons of salt so its not too surprising (after the fact). I'm gonna check and change every thing. Love to go 300K on this car. I had a Malibu rental (34K) newish...sucked compared to my 12 year old 180 K car.

ssb[:)]

ps its all better now. Take care of your car! I need to be more attentive. Anything ayone else know of to be aware of.

thanks

· Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,803 Posts
Have a look at the rubber at the top of the strut mounts under the hood. Due to the hea...

Have a look at the rubber at the top of the strut mounts under the hood. Due to the heat and gases, those things deteriorate and are pretty cheap (pain to install, though). Check the engine, trans and rear subframe mounts. Those are basically shock absorbers for the drivetrain and were a big reason why the W201 felt as smooth as the bigger Mercedes. If you're feeling more vibrations, it's a good thing to check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.