Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
SOLD: 99 SLK230 K 96 C220 K 06 E200 K
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
If you remembered my thread about "bonk"ing sound from my front suspension. I took it to the dealer and they said it has slight wear ball joint. They wouldn't recommend to change it now. Here's the previous thread;
http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1200971&posts=6&fid=26
What do you think? Should I insist to change it? I have another extended warranty anyway but I report the problem before starmark expire. I should be covered in either way anyway. Should I wait a little?

·
Registered
2006 SLK-55 AMG
737 Posts
tempoct - 3/3/2005 7:24 PM

Hi all.
If you remembered my thread about "bonk"ing sound from my front suspension. I took it to the dealer and they said it has slight wear ball joint. They wouldn't recommend to change it now... Should I wait a little?
I would not wait to change a ball joint making "bonk" sounds; to me, "bonk" means lack of lubrication and a much faster wear rate. The lack of lubrication means something has already worn out... the self lubrication built into the joint. I would get the joints replaced and get it realigned.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
I think that you should keep close tabs on it, keep track of how many times you notice it in a week, and call that service manager back and give him a report. He'll know that you're serious and that you're not going away, so he may be more inclined to go ahead and do the service.
As loud and occasionally creeky as our cars can be, if you are noticing a popping/bonking noise, i think that it needs attention, sooner or later.
Ball joints can fail after just 75,000 miles, and less...all it takes is a tear in the rubber boot that lets dirt and moisture in.
Did the wheel bearings check out OK?

·
Registered
2002 SLK320
1 Posts
My lower ball joints in the front suspension failed after about 36,000 miles. I did not hear anything--but the people at Globe did and repaired them under warranty!
Globe Motor Car Co. is one of the best parts of owning a Mercedes
(apart from driving it!).

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
Tell ya what. Get your dealer to sign on the dotted line on a doccument you prepare. State that the ball joints are worn to the extent that they make the noise and that the dealer doesn't think that they should be changed at this time. Have a lawyer write the statement, note your vin no., mileage, and car description and add pictures of how the car is now. Explain as to how you might have to show Mercedes, and your insurance company (in the future) as to why the accident due to neglient maintence occured and that the doccument will help in any litigation that might occur due to someone being hurt and you being sued. Then see if he will sign it.

If need be, ask Mercedes zone office to determine if the repair should be made and for Zone to advise the dealer in question of their decision.

A good rule of life is to think - how is this gonna sound in court?

Regards

1 - 5 of 5 Posts