Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'91 300 2.5
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...a ball joint separated, and the car is in a parking lot about 5 miles from home. It's nosed into a parking space and I don't see how I could move it without risking major damage.
I guess I'll do the job right there.
A few questions:
1-I don't have a ball joint remover/installer, but it doesn't seem like that big a deal to remove the control arm and bring it home where I have a shop press. Am I right?
2-This way I can also leave the strut and tie rod on, right?
3-Can I use your basic spring compressor where you put one on each side of the spring and tighten?
Any help would be greatly appreciated; I kind of need to get this done quickly and efficiently and get my car home.

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,454 Posts
Answer to :
1 - Removing the CA isn't a big deal except for the fact that there's a bigass spring exerting hundreds and hundreds of pounds of downward force on it. Once the CA is off you can replace the BJ using a shop press. Be sure to index the BJ to the CA properly. And you'll have to get that BJ stud out of the knuckle which shouldn't be too bad except for laying on a parking lot.
2 - Yes, that's right.
3 - Ah, no, you can't use your basic spring compressor and that's a problem. You need some special spring compressor that slips INSIDE the spring IIRC. Brand name start with a K, I think. Without that spring compressor you're going nowhere fast.

At least we didn't get a foot or more of snow yesterday!

·
Registered
a totally minted 300e w124
69 Posts
if a was u dude knowing my area a wid sleep in the car tonight ,take the arm off at first light and fix it at home .Just be thankfull it didnt happen on the motorway doing 80mph

·
Registered
1988 300E, 2006 E350 wagon
278 Posts
augapfel is talking about the brand name Klann.
I hear that SirTools is also good for these strut compressors.
if only they weren't so much $$$!
good luck, charlie. calm after the storm, huh guys...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts