Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Anyone know where I can find a DIY for replacing the lower ball joints? I was just quoted $542 for the job and was wondering how hard it might be to DIY.

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
lower ball joint replacement.

In short, support the car on jack stands so you can remove the tire, brake caliper and brake disk as well as the schield behind the brake disk. Then use a jack to support the control arm so the spring doesn't let loose. Disconnect the nut on the ball joint and and let the jack down slowly and just far enough to get the ball joint clear. Take the backing nut off the ball joint and tap it out or use jount puller tool to remove it. Install the new one. Raise the control arm with the jack and get the upper nut on. Put all the brake parts and what all you took off back on.

Do a search on the forum. There have been other posts with pictures and tips.

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
Try observing You Tube DIY'ers. They are not mb cars but you get the idea. Then try to get suggestions on this forum. . . . . THat's only me.

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If I buy 2 Meyle Control Arms "Heavy Duty Replacements" with Bushings and 2 new ball joints is the procedure easier? Looks like just adding the new parts makes it less work than trying to hammer out the old ball joints alone. The "heavy duty" makes me think they are better than oem. I found the parts at autohauz. I think the price quote is high - especially w/ no alignment.

The reason I ask is because I have uneven tire wear on the outside edges of both my front tires - rears are even. The dealership stated that I needed lower ball joints but the indie said I needed bushings. I checked under the car myself and the sway bar bushings look worn but other components look ok. Can you visually inspect these parts or just troubleshoot by replacing? I notice a clunking sound over some bumps but not others and a slight creak upon complete stop when the front recovers from initial "nose dive".

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does Anyone know where I can find a DIY for replacing the lower ball joints? I was just quoted $542 for the job and was wondering how hard it might be to DIY.
WOW. THAT is a total ripoff. I don't have a DIY but replacement is easy. Bought some 'lems' off autohausaz. Half a grand??? That would be more than double what I would pay including alignment!

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW. THAT is a total ripoff. I don't have a DIY but replacement is easy. Bought some 'lems' off autohausaz. Half a grand??? That would be more than double what I would pay including alignment!

I thought the same thing. I just dont want to get in over my head on the job. Doing some reseach I on the forum I got everything from "it was easy" to "it took 5 hours for one" side?!?

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
alldatadiy.com

factory wis.$25 bucks a year.
You may need to rent some tools,but you can get it done diy,just be sure to get it mb aligned afterwards.
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
factory wis.$25 bucks a year.
You may need to rent some tools,but you can get it done diy,just be sure to get it mb aligned afterwards.
ohlord:bowdown:
Just signed up - thanks OhLord.

Lots of information there - my brain is on overload.

I posted a sticky in the deals section - 12.95 for 12 months!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
Ball joint tool

These may help...

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok - I had the idea that I should just add the new lower control arms instead of popping out the old ones. By the way - does anyone have a good source for the E55 sway bar :D

Just wondering if it can be swapped out on the 430 and if so what other parts from the e55 are required...

Found this info...

"Response is tuned to be more linear than the stock units on the E430. The suspension geometry helps prevent front-end dive during braking. A beefy E55-specific 29-mm solid stabilizer bar completes the setup, compared to the 26-mm hollow stabilizer on the E430. On the rear, AMG installs a 20-mm solid stabilizer in back, compared to the 17-mm hollow bar on the E430."

Nevermind about the sway bar. I'd have to upgrade both front and rear. I read just the fronts = too much understeer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts