Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, last week when my mechanic was working on my CLK, I noticed
a black block (weight) that was bolted on the frame behind the front pass. side fog lamp.
My mechanic told me that it was there to dampen the steering and to reduce
vibrations??? (sorry, I don't know what this part is actually called)??
When I touched this weight, it actually moves back and forth a bit (has some play in it).
I wonder if this part has any relevance to my car now that I'm running 19's and my car is lowered??? I still have vibrations in my steering wheel at 50kms/hr and 100kms/hr.

Attachments

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte, CL600, S500, BMW 330cic, E65 BMW 750LI. Dodge Ram
883 Posts
lol I have no idea

Anybody?
I found out what this part is called, "Bumper Frame Suspension Vibration Absorber".
Im going to look and see If I have one. Thats interesting as I have taken this bumper off many times.

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
Cabriolets have those, Coupes don't. The weights are to reduce vibration and cowl shake. It helps with that old uneven brick road, small but constantly unsettling road surface. There should also be another counter balance in the drivers rear

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
They're just a very heavy, rubber mounted dead weight. Under newer city street and highway conditions you wouldn't notice if they both fell off

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
Depends on what type of road conditions you run on. New style city streets and modern highways; very likely, no help at all. Uneven or small expansion style concrete or brick surface it would work to help stabilize the harmonic type shake. A little . Only way to prove there effective is a with/without drive

1 - 9 of 9 Posts