Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello MB Owners...

I read on another website that certain MB vehicles built between 2005 thru 2008 with the "272" / "273" engines were assembled with a defective "cam balancing shaft." The shaft and/or sprocket wears out prematurely, and requires an engine teardown to replace and repair. (Cost anywhere from US$ 4000 to 6000 to repair... Unreal!)

Having just purchased an '07 clk350, I emailed the dealer's technician to ask if my car's VIN fell into the range of engines with the defective balancer shaft...it turns out, unfortunately for me, that yes it does. The technician explained that the dealer won't replace it until a specific error code displays (1200-1208)...then they follow the Technical Service Bulletin (see below). I'm furious that Mercedes sold me a CPO car knowing about the problem and not informing me BEFORE the purchase! Unethical at the very least, in my opinion.)

1) This is a known problem for a variety of mercedes benz vehicles with the 3.5 Liter "272" / "273" engines built between 2005 and 2008, including our clk's! The technician told me the part could wear out at 15K miles or 80K miles...he's repaired them on cars of all mileages.

2) Check out this website for threads and the TSB related to this issue [go to Thread #12]. Shows photos, diagrams, etc.... http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...d.php?t=271866

3) Here is the link to the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB): http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktio...hmentId=681441

4) Here's a link to a class action lawsuit regarding the cam balancing shaft:
http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktion/

Has anyone else heard of, or had, this problem? I'm fuming that they sold me this car without telling me of the known defect. I'm upset that while the vehicle runs fine now, that it could have a major engine failure at any time. This isn't the peace of mind I thought I was buying into. Does one keep the car and hope it doesn't fail? Or sell the car while it's still under the CPO and extended warranty?

I'm also concerned that if the problem occurs and the engine is torn down and rebuilt, that the car won't run as smoothly as it did when first purchased. Unreal that MB knew about this issue and didn't issue a recall! How could they let a known manufacturing defect go on for so long and not forewarn consumers....

thx

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Yeah, cmitch wasn't very happy about it either. Here's his post about it at Benz Obsession, including pics and info.

Are you OBSESSED about your Benz? | Attn! Owners '06-'07 MB's with M272 or M273 engines

But I'd be pretty displeased, too...although I've been around long enough to know to do homework and ask questions before I buy a car.

Selling it without telling you of a TSB is only fraud if your state statutes define it as such. Most don't.

If you have an extended warranty, I'd just drive it. Assuming your car has the garbage gears, you'll get the code and can deal with it then.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts