Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300SD
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after WVO, 169k miles and 37 years my injector nozzles are surely garbage. I'd like to put Monarks on but after reading up on this I really don't want to screw with balancing my injectors. I don't have a garage to do it in and I'd rather not buy specialty tools for one time use. None of the mechanics I've called want to touch this. A set of reman Bosh injectors isn't going to be vastly more than buying everything necessary to rebuild them myself. I was thinking just by a reman set and then swap on my preferred nozzles.

I've seen some conflicting information though. If I put brand new Monark nozzles on a set of reman injectors that are already properly balanced will they still be spraying at the same pressure? Or have I signed up to balance injectors no matter what if I put on the Monarks? Or will they be at a different pressure but, like... close enough for government work?

·
Outstanding Contributor
350SDL, '17 GLS450, "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car
3,083 Posts
Quality reman injectors are going to have new nozzles. Find a Bosch Diesel shop in your area and tell them what you want. See what they use for nozzles. Bottom line, if you swap the nozzles you'll have to recalibrate the pop pressure.

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,128 Posts
Are reman that much cheaper. I seem to remember thenew ones were about $50. Each.

·
Registered
1983 300SD
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Find a Bosch Diesel shop in your area and tell them what you want.
Unfortunately the reply from mechanics has consistently been "we no longer do that, just buy reman, what are Monarks?" When I ask if they can suggest someone who would I can basically hear their shoulders shrug over the phone.

The last guy said that they no longer keep the shims necessary. But he also made it sound like the remanufacturing process has been outsourced and it's changed the economics of it. At $60 per reman injector (including new nozzle) it's impossible for him to do it himself for cheaper.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1983 300SD
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be advised, there are plenty of reman injectors out on the internet that aren't worth the postage to send them back...
Good to know.

Do you know of anyone on the forum I could throw some cash to do this? I came across a thread where someone was offering that but it was pretty old.

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,128 Posts
I went back and checked, since I put everything in a spreadsheet and found I paid $47.50 for each injector at German Auto Supply. However, that looks like it was around September of 2017 so.... At any rate good luck. If you are looking for used, contact Bob Youngman

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,063 Posts
Good to know.

Do you know of anyone on the forum I could throw some cash to do this? I came across a thread where someone was offering that but it was pretty old.

You're asking about diesel injectors, right? You might try Pacific Fuel Injection here in the San Francisco area:
153 Utah Ave, South San Francisco, CA 94080 Phone: +1 650 588 8880. Seems I've heard good things about them.

·
Registered
1983 300SD
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're asking about diesel injectors, right? You might try Pacific Fuel Injection here in the San Francisco area:
153 Utah Ave, South San Francisco, CA 94080 Phone: +1 650 588 8880. Seems I've heard good things about them.
I'll give them a few more tries. Haven't gotten them to pick up yet.

I can't believe the amount of conflicting information on the subject and how reluctant shops are to do this. I've called at least ten. One place claimed to specialize in fuel injection and said he wasn't able to. At least he said he'd do it for $150 if I provided him with a pop tester and the shims. Starting to think I may just have to do this on a folding table in the cold in my apartment building's parking garage.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,063 Posts
Wish I could help more. If you were talking gas injectors, I could test them for you. I'd probably try to do it myself, if I were you. I don't really trust shops these days.

·
Outstanding Contributor
350SDL, '17 GLS450, "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car
3,083 Posts
I don't think you're going to get a very good product for $50 each. I just checked to see what I paid back in 2014. $154 each...

Buy the parts and a pop tester and do it yourself, or, if there's no issues, go with what you've got. If they're not knocking...

·
Registered
1983 300SD
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally found a shop! If anyone ever references this and is in the Denver area it's Mitchcon Corporation.

Solution was to ask Reddit. The place has no internet presence so my myriad search terms related to diesel and fuel injection didn't bring them up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts