Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post will pertain to all the Nav retrofitted out there who have completed it before. I've posted a couple times on this topic but will be more specific with part number this time around. And before I go any farther, yes I did use the search function last nite for about an hour [;)]

I got a 2000 MCS head unit (Model #A163 820 21 86) and I got a Fiber CD Changer (Model #A203 820 90 89 MC3010) Now I already have all the adapters etc... from Benza's info and also bought the fiber cable to run from changer to MCS... NOW the question is I believe I need a new power harness to run from the MCS to the Changer cause the harness in my truck is not gonna work cause they changed the wiring around in 2000 from what I read.

Now what I need to know is where do I find this power harness or where can I get a part number for it? I ask my local MB dealer and all they send me is schematic drawings of different pin configurations and they have no clue... Does anyone have any kind of information or where/who I can get a hold of to get this info? Any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks for all the help guys and I hate to be repetitive but when all else fails never hurts to ask again (and that's AFTER using the search function *roadsession*..lol) Cheers!

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Actually...

Your pre-'00 CD changer will work just fine with the setup you have. You do not need to use the fibre-optic CD changer at all, nor do you need to run new wiring. The 2000 models actually did not have the fibre optics. It was the 2001+ MLs that had this setup.

Good luck!

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
GOAT - 4/1/2005 10:52 AM

This post will pertain to all the Nav retrofitted out there who have completed it before. I've posted a couple times on this topic but will be more specific with part number this time around. And before I go any farther, yes I did use the search function last nite for about an hour [;)]

I got a 2000 MCS head unit (Model #A163 820 21 86) and I got a Fiber CD Changer (Model #A203 820 90 89 MC3010) Now I already have all the adapters etc... from Benza's info and also bought the fiber cable to run from changer to MCS... NOW the question is I believe I need a new power harness to run from the MCS to the Changer cause the harness in my truck is not gonna work cause they changed the wiring around in 2000 from what I read.

Now what I need to know is where do I find this power harness or where can I get a part number for it? I ask my local MB dealer and all they send me is schematic drawings of different pin configurations and they have no clue... Does anyone have any kind of information or where/who I can get a hold of to get this info? Any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks for all the help guys and I hate to be repetitive but when all else fails never hurts to ask again (and that's AFTER using the search function *roadsession*..lol) Cheers!
GOAT: You made me smile on this dreary rainy morning!

Anyway, I THINK I know what you're asking:

A) You bought the right (2000 MY) MCS.

If you have a MY 99 or 98 CD Changer, it is plug and play and skip the rest. Otherwise, I am guessing this is your situation:

B) BUT you have a newer CD changer that only works on fiber optic wire
C) YOU DO NOT have the older CD Changer.

If above is true, then it is time to ebay the fiber optic CD changer you have and buy on ebay the older NON fiber optic CD changer (out of a 98 or 99 ML) That will be plug and play.

If you insist on making the fiber optic CD changer you have work, then you will have to buy whole new wiring. Only ONE BRAVE SOUL I know tried it and it's *** UNCAL *** ...here's his post

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1176979&posts=1&fid=29

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roadsession... thanks for the info... and yes you are rite... I still have my stock CD Changer in the truck but I did buy the Fiber one as well with the fiber optic cable... I would like to install the fiber (yes I did reas UnCal's post on the install) but he used a different power harness... one out of a C class I believe and the voltage was different as he had to tap into his 12V outlet. I believe the actual ML harness you don't have to tap into the 12V but I could be wrong... its just no one has any idea about the part number for this wiring harness to run from front to back. Cheers mate!

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drew I got one last question and then I will lay it to bed [:p] ... Since my MCS has a slot for the D2B (fiber) cable does that mean it will ONLY work with that? cause if that is the case then I am screwed and will either need an older MCS or will have to run new wiring in order for it to all work. Was about to tackle this retrofit this weekend but chickened out and did my side step bars and turn signal mirrors instead... [:)] MCS is scheduled for next weekend [;)]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts