Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Christmas guys and Happy New year to everyone,

Forgive me if this has come up before. I couldn't find anything on it when I searched the other day. I pulled the inlet/outlet casting from my supercharger and found this black, "baffle" plate. Does anyone know what happens if I take it out? It's held in by three screws and appears to concentrate and smooth the flow as the gas goes into the intercooler.

Any harm in removing it? Any gain?

Jeff

Attachments

·
2,588 Posts
ive seen threads somewhere of people removing it no probs... in the post 2000 SLK a M45 charger is used. that is just a muffler to quiten down the supercharger (its on the outlet port). judging by those holes it would sure restrict airflow...

you can always try it and put it back if you think the s/c is too loud... personaly i love the whine :D

and as above please loctite the bolt if you do decide to remove it

edit- yep you have to put the same bolt back in with loctite to seal the hole left over, otherwise it would effectivly be a boost leak = power loss.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
ive seen threads somewhere of people removing it no probs... in the post 2000 SLK a M45 charger is used. that is just a muffler to quiten down the supercharger (its on the outlet port). judging by those holes it would sure restrict airflow...

you can always try it and put it back if you think the s/c is too loud... personaly i love the whine :D

edit- yep you have to put the same bolt back in with loctite to seal the hole left over, otherwise it would effectivly be a boost leak = power loss.
I read a lot of your posts and have to say again, that one can't always look at it in terms of volumetric restriction, especially with these inefficient superchargers. If they were running all the time, under high boost conditions, I might concede, but these are for street cars and it's not always about restriction, but about flow. Your assumption is what would have thought of before the discipline of Fluid Dynamics was developed, which has now seen that type of flow, rather than just open, unrestricted flow, can sometimes mean more to the goal. Incidentally, this discipline is increasingly being applied in medicine, with respect to cardiovascular treatments and evaluations, along with certain structures having evolved through evolution to promote higher flow, which one could see sometimes as "restrictions" in the vessel.

Oh, Loctite is not recommended for sealing threads. Permatex and Loctite both recommend "non-hardening sealer" (I forgot their respective numbers) for sealing threads in water pumps, oil pumps, and other applications.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Merry xmas and happy new year to all bros !
i have interest to remove it too, soon..... so, i see there is a gasket between that 2 housing, should i need to replace a new one as well ? What is the part no. please ?? Mine is 1997 SLK230

Thanks

Wilson

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

That makes perfect sense, a muffler! OK there is my epiphany for the day....well, I like the whine of the SC so off it comes and we'll see how it feels and sounds. I'll put a bolt with lockwasher/nut into the one hole in the casting since the threaded lug is in the "muffler" itself, the other holes (rear) don't need to be sealed.

JC, not exactly sure what this means since I haven't posted anything along these lines in years but I always appreciate input("I read a lot of your posts and have to say again...")

Thanks guys,
jeff

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
I read a lot of your posts and have to say again, that one can't always look at it in terms of volumetric restriction, especially with these inefficient superchargers. If they were running all the time, under high boost conditions, I might concede, but these are for street cars and it's not always about restriction, but about flow. Your assumption is what would have thought of before the discipline of Fluid Dynamics was developed, which has now seen that type of flow, rather than just open, unrestricted flow, can sometimes mean more to the goal. Incidentally, this discipline is increasingly being applied in medicine, with respect to cardiovascular treatments and evaluations, along with certain structures having evolved through evolution to promote higher flow, which one could see sometimes as "restrictions" in the vessel.

Oh, Loctite is not recommended for sealing threads. Permatex and Loctite both recommend "non-hardening sealer" (I forgot their respective numbers) for sealing threads in water pumps, oil pumps, and other applications.

I've seen your posts elsewhere.. and I have yet to see much use out of your posts with the M111 engine. Although you spout knowledge of fluid dynamics, your statement shows a lack of knowledge. Just because the application is a street car and under boost does not cause it to fall under 'special rules'.

Restriction of flow in a vehicle's intake system, be it a supercharged system or N/A, hinders performance. The hindering of performance may not be horsepower, but could simply be that there is a hesitation in throttle response.

Which removing of this baffle has proved through-out m111 history to cause a hesitation in responsiveness at higher RPM. Although I don't recall a dyno being made for it.. I really don't think you need one to know that a plastic wall right in the path of flowing air is going to cause it to slow down.

Stop with your negative posts that "show your knowledge" through-out this forum, all you do is cause problems.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You can put me on ignore.

Simple. It's called "self-restraint". Don't click on my posts.

Anyhow, yes, it's as much "how" as it is "how much" nowadays. But I guess smaller, normally aspirated engines, for instance, producing more and more power, while still being drivable, are not clear examples, right?

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
You can put me on ignore.

Simple. It's called "self-restraint". Don't click on my posts.

Anyhow, yes, it's as much "how" as it is "how much" nowadays. But I guess smaller, normally aspirated engines, for instance, producing more and more power, while still being drivable, are not clear examples, right?

I guess you are incapable of understanding things such as cam timing and cam degree of opening.

You know.. the thing that determines how long the valves are open to allow air in.

Your point that you are attempting to achieve is invalid. The SLK without this baffle, is in fact drivable. The 2.3L engine, that is supercharged, is in fact one of the slowest forced induction engines on the market, from the factory.

I am simply trying to get through your thick skull that you can not say Fluid Dynamics for everything. Its simple, an air flow test before and an air flow test after will show that more air moves through the supercharger outlet after removing the baffle.

No one here asked any questions related to "how" or "how much" so stop bringing in needless words. You are attempting to argue something that SLK owners have done before, while you.. do not apparently own a SLK230 (going from your profile), and be it if you do own one.. I have not seen any posts to prove your knowledge of the M111 engine design used in the SLK230. Maybe try to prove your point with someone that doesn't know about this engine/vehicle.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
So then how about dyno tests? We've asked the op for those before, with regard to that piece of metal in the intake tract before, and never got any. And yes, a flow test in, and out of the SC will prove the worth. Additionally, there is no bearing on whether this is a "slow" sc car, and comparative ranking. Talk about the car itself, and how it's designed. The VW corrado g60 had a supercharger and was slower still than this car. What does it mean? Nothing.

And you're incapable of grasping easy concepts that prove how a fluid flows is as important as how much, which is why variable tract intakes were made, and such principles as scavenging are still applied today, which were discovered well before the discipline of "fluid dynamics".

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
The g60 is a 8valve 1.8L engine. Of course it makes less power.

I assume you are referring to my question in a separate thread inquiring about the tract length. Just because I have limited knowledge on an intake manifold does not mean I have limited knowledge on the supercharged system of this vehicle.

I think you must have a misunderstanding of who you are talking to...

You must have this idea I lack knowledge on this car just because I don't understand how the variable tracts work, which I've already read up on and now fully understand.

Does a dyno test show throttle responsiveness? Do you know why a modification like this one improves throttle response?

I have already said that this likely does not improve horsepower or anything, but improves responsiveness. Which it does. There is no getting around it. It allows easier flow of the air when you mash the pedal, minimizing the delay of air sitting in the supercharger chamber.

There is no need for a dyno test on this car, because its not really possible for it to increase actual horsepower, as you are not making the supercharger spin faster or pull more air in.. you are allowing the air to be pulled by the engine easier... simply making it reach the engine faster, allowing better responsiveness.

I'm not sure whether you've driven a stock SLK230 or not, nor do I care to.. but I have. I know first hand the responsiveness of a stock SLK. In fact I know the responsiveness of my SLK with the stock airbox on or my own personal intake system. The responsiveness between the stock box and my intake is night and day... just like I am sure it is with this. Does it mean there is more horsepower? No.. it means that if you are cruising at 4k RPMs and you floor it, or you floor it at 3k RPMs.. it may "feel" faster, but it just means the air is reaching the engine quicker and it the fuel is added quicker... all in all.. making the car START moving faster, not necessarily MOVE faster.

·
Registered
262 Posts
stop the argument, be peace.....
there is no any rules to remove it or not, no need to argue, no point to argue
u like to remove it, then go
u dun like to remove it, then keep it !

that's all

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
It is attitude of not doing certain modifications that is going to make this place die, same reason SteveJ got irritated all the time. People keep saying "this law of physics" and such prove that it isnt possible... or whatever..

The m111 has tons of power, i've already made impressive improvements with my SLK over the ASP pulley mod, just with my simple modifications. Everyone spouts that its impossible to make it faster or whatever.

Im simple making sure people see that if you want to help power, this is a simple mod that helps a little bit. The benefit may multiply after the ASP pulley and other mods are done.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I never said it's impossible. I'm saying "prove it". And now you're double talking about making power with simple mods, and above, you're the one saying it's the "physics" in the supercharger's output.

Does a dyno test show throttle responsiveness? Do you know why a modification like this one improves throttle response?
Yes.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Actually a dyno does not ALWAYS show an improvement, when there is. With throttle response at least. Sometimes it may appear like minimal effect, when in fact it is very noticeable. Since you always desire proof of this.. my proof is first hand experience, not with my specific car.. but to others i've witnessed get dynos done, and dyno reports with guys locally here.

Stop doing the run-around jerk chicken, and stop acting like a toolbag, just stick to the w203 forum. You've stated your scientific explanation of how the world turns, now go advise somewhere else.

Its simple, and it was discussed here and other forums. The mod works for responsiveness, and was never proved on a dyno for WHP/WTQ gains. As most people figured it wouldn't improve the actual HP/TQ readings, just responsiveness.. just like it did. The baffle has been discussed many times, face it.. it affects performance.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Throttle response is a minimal change on the graph, in the scheme of it, wholly insignificant, but equatable to a feel, and one would simply need to expand the axes to actually see the change. That's how it gets programmed into the maps for the adaptations, silly.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I feel 30 days in the cooler coming on if one of you guys lose it !! - where is Steve Johnson when you need him !!

Oberoi

·
2,588 Posts
my understanding is the main purpose to muffle something is to reduce the sound as much as you can. and this is usually at the cost of flow?

the same can be said for exhaust systems? any OEM cars exhaust mufflers have many chambers/perforations to reduce noise at the cost of flow (yes the manafacture has to strike a balance over performance/noise etc).

many guys have done this on other forums on their C230k, and even 180's (both use the m45 charger). the early SLK's used the bigger M62 charger which didnt even come with a intake muffler from factory!

attached is a intake diagram from the M271 motor (on the 1.8lt with eaton m45). seems like all the newer motors are using a lot of silencing.

i know someone who works in the benz servicing department and most of the "complaints" funnily enough are from the superchargers noise or in the case of the E55 amgs etc the chirp the belt gives with the s/c engages (again normal behaviour). i guess people buy a "luxury" car and expect it to be super quiet.....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
9 Participants
Subby_
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing