Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E420 18" AMG Monoblocks
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm new to the site and am in dire need of some help. My 97 E420 looks almost showroom new, has 86k on the clock and runs beautiful! I love this car!

I recently moved from NJ to FL and drove the car down. Before the ride, the car was smooth as silk even with the horrible roads in northern NJ! Since the ride(3 weeks ago) I have noticed 3 things:

1 - After throwing a weight during the trip I had the wheels balanced. I still have this intermittent vibration either at highway speed (60-100) or surface street speed (35-60) Its getting very annoying

2 - My front end started creaking. Even in my driveway if I compress the suspension at all I get a loud creak.

3 - Check engine light keeps coming on for emmissions. I just put a new gas cap which while in Jersey solved the problem but now its happening again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,116 Posts
I woke up Monday.

Later in the day someone shot 32 people.

There is NO correlation.

It's time for some maintenance on your car, and there is no correlation with moving to Florida.

Take it to a dealer, which is the best bet until you can learn who the best independents are in your new area.

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
I am gonna just go off the top here, but always have a professional explain.

Vibration: Harmonic Balalencer and/or Pully Barings - HB free recal - New Pully and Belt - about $300 pending DIY or Machanic

I have something similar with the creak - might be your springs

You have to get the check engine reset after you didnt put the cap on correctly the first time. Ive never had this issues, because I read forums months before buying my E320 and found that was something I should do always at the pump, is to close the cap tightly and wiggle alittle to make sure its fully closed.

Hope that helped some what, and welcome to the forum, note: I am a super novice and am still learning myself, they are great members on this forum that may be able to help you further, good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've read about the Harmonic balancer - when do they usually go?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also feel like the car is all over the road on the highway - is there any correlation between this sensation and the vibration?

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
RSPINAJR said:
I've read about the Harmonic balancer - when do they usually go?
Not sure if there is a usual time, but I bought a 1998 E430 with 117k and that dealer had just found that it had not been done and replaced it before selling that car to me.

As far as I know it was a factory recall on certain VINs so they don't have to be bad before M-B replces it for free. Any dealer should be able to run your VIN for a Master Vehicle Inquiry to see if it has ever been replaced.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks so much! - i'm gonna have it checked by the way, what exactly does it do?

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
tirona said:
musikmann, does that mean that my i6 doesn;t have a harmonic balancer?
As I understand it, that is correct; I don't think your engine needs one.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
good, than i don't have to worry about the hb recall then.

rspinajr, i;m not a mechanic, but this is what i'm thinking:
1) the vibration at high speeds could be bad roads, or you could have bad tires, or one of your wheels could be slightly damaged. have you ever hit anything, or maybe the previous owner? do you have original mb wheels, or do you have other ones? what size?
2) if you compress the suspension of course you will hear something, it;s probably still on original shocks and it;s a 11 year old car.
3) erase the codes and if cel comes back, than something is wrong. if it doesn;t, it;s probably nothing to worry about. wouldn;t hurt to clean the maf, and replace the air filter if it hasn;t been replaced for the last 3-4 years.

·
Registered
2000 E55 AMG
577 Posts
My contribution:

1) The vibration: Harmonic balancer; motor mounts; front end alignment; uneven tire wear.

2) The creak: Front end bushings; springs.

3) The CEL: MAF sensor; O2 sensor.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
I will say this much, when I had the HB replace along with the original pully and belt, 90% of the vibration I was feeling was gone, also I do feel new motor mounts wont hurt, cuz I get slight vibration on idle. I just now had my front tires replaced do to safety issues, tires where to big, 225/60 16 when I needed 215/55 16. This has helped dramaticly. The previous owner, nor myself knew this was wrong untill I rotated my tires last night. The humming-metal type, noise is 100%, because the rim and tire where rubbing againts the springs-unsafe. Now though, I need a new balancing, but its much better ride, even though its alot looser and extra road noise. Hope that help, I just did the tires an hour ago.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everybody for the input

tirona - I have the orginal MB 16" wheels with brand new tires. If i do new shocks i would really like to upgrade to make this car feel more planted, any suggestions?

ruBenz - the MAF sensor and O2 sensor are these DIY items?

Say i was to do everything: shocks, motor mounts, springs (would like to lower it a little) MAF, O2,Harmonic Balancer, bushings could anyone priortize the list?

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
you don't have to do the motor mounts, i would just do lower ball joints, bushings, shocks, and clean the maf. that's the most i would do.

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
Why

tirona said:
you don't have to do the motor mounts, i would just do lower ball joints, bushings, shocks, and clean the maf. that's the most i would do.
tirona, you said "you don't have to do the motor mounts", just as a learning question why wouldnt you do motor mounts, doesnt new motor mounts help reduce front end vibration. Just curious, thank you:confused:

·
Registered
2000 E55 AMG
577 Posts
RSPINAJR said:
...ruBenz - the MAF sensor and O2 sensor are these DIY items?...
The MAF sensor is a definite DIY (less than an hour to exchange). O2 sensors is another story...a bit more complicated. Nonetheless, 98% of the time the issue is the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
2000 E55 AMG
577 Posts
RSPINAJR said:
...Say i was to do everything: shocks, motor mounts, springs (would like to lower it a little) MAF, O2,Harmonic Balancer, bushings could anyone prioritize the list?
In terms of prioritizing, I would address the creak first. Hopefully, that would remedy the vibration issue. If not, I would begin with the motor mounts, then the harmonic balancer. Hope you have a good indy shop. Good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I found one - two germans off the boat going there on a suggestion from a friend not sure if I should jut go to a dealer first for a diagnosis

1 - 20 of 29 Posts