Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1981 240D -297,000 miles
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive read about valve stem seals vs rings going bad. My car doesnt smoke ALL the time constantly. It smokes on start up and when im idling, and sometimes when i push down the throttle hard. The engine runs FINE, It still has alot of power. Whats also weird is when i changed the oil, it smells like the new oil being burned, and when i put seafoam in the crankase, it smelled like that being burned... So maybe everytime i fill it , the oil or seafoam seeps past the valve stem seals to the combustion chamber? I guess it makes sense because you fill it from the top, and thats where the seals are. I hope im right.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet
126 Posts
Patience, grasshopper!

Valve stem seals are rarely the problem. More likely are rings. Burning smell maybe due to leaking valve cover/gasket? What is your oil consumption like? If less than a qt per 2000 miles, that's completely normal for such a high mileage car. Driving over 65 mph increases oil consumption in your car.

Smoke could be due to many things, like carboned-up engine, bad injector or two, failed glow plug(s), stretched timing chain making the injection timing off/retarded.

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,161 Posts
Ah, change them when you do your next valve adjustment anyway. They're due . It's a long procedure, but not a hard one. Mercedessource has a kit with a special tool made from a box-end wrench that really comes in handy when dealing with those back valves.

·
Registered
1981 240D -297,000 miles
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems like its about a quart per 500 miles if im lucky, the funny thing is, my car doesnt blow blue smoke or leak buckets.

·
Registered
1981 240D -297,000 miles
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, it doesnt leak at all after i have driven and stopped with it still running, but when i shut it off it drips a little puddle the size of your index finger and thumb making a circle. Something that bothers me is when im driving, when i get up in the higher RPMs before it changes gears, i hear a sound like a chain rattling around from the engine, sort of like when a chain is being dragged on the road, but i have no hanging chains...weird, I hope its not the timing chain loose...

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
To see if the car really smokes, get a car with HID lights at night behind you and see if there is smoke behind you. The night and blue light really makes it show up. My car burns 1 quart per 100 miles and much of it goes out the CCV line and probably past the rings and the valve stem seals too. Ironically the engine runs sewing machine smooth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts