Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the current epidemic (trend) that has been occurring in recent Mercedes-Benz models has hit the new sl roadster? I am talking about build quality, fit and finish quality, and material quality, or should I say lack of quality. I am very disappointed in the lack of quality in the current Mercedes-Benz models. Every since the previous generation S-Class came out, the build, material, and fit and finish quality has been going down hill. At first this trend was occurring slowly, as the quality started to deteriorate with the previous generation S-Class, and then the quality drastically went down when the current S-Class was introduced. This terrible trend is occurring all over all of the Mercedes model lines and the only Benz' s it hasn't hit are the G-Wagon and the previous SL. You used to hear all the time about how a Benz was made to last forever, and other comments about the quality in general of the cars, now they are just echoes of the past. All the magazines' comments now are directed towards the LACK of quality in a car of this caliber, and how BMW and Audi have the best made cars now. FOR A REAL MERCEDES FAN THIS SHOULD BE UN-EXCEPTABLE! I blame this all on Chrysler, and on the double edged sword of profits. If Diamler-Benz didn't want to increase their profits, they wouldn't be making the C-Class or the SLK or the ML or the CLK or the V or the A, a Benz would be the once super exclusive super high quality luxury car that it once was. But the downside of this, no Benz for someone like me who can't afford to pay 70,000 for a car, and the exec's at Mercedes make a little less cash. I am praying to the 'almighty' that since Chrysler is doing a little better than it was last year, Mercedes doesn't have to cut as much costs, that the SL quality will be back up to at least the previous generations if not higher. If anyone has any info on this subject, please leave the links in a post.<br>
<br>
PS-I am not making this stuff up, if you want to read recent articles that have some tidbits on this subject, check out Motor Trend's Luxurious Maximus comparisons.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
that's all hogwash

Almost every review of a benz in a german magazine (and they should know) says it's still the best in every aspect. The only quality problems so far have been the ML (built in the USA, now hopefully fixed w/ the facelift.) and some exceptions during the first year of production, which is even more common at BMW and Audi not to mention conventional brands. <br> <br> Some people mention german articles exposing bad quality benzes but if you look into the archives those articles don't exist.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's not

As a current SLK owner and future SL owner all I can say is that i hope the new SL build quality is better than the SLK's.<br> <br> It is superbly built, but a couple of little things (fixed under warranty) do smack a litle of falling standards. Check the SLK board for a selection of interior trim issues which I hope mercedes will learn from.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats exactly what im talking about, check out the autobild archives and you won't find that article

if you do please show the full article to us.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no question about it. The materials in the current Benz model seem a lot more plasticy than older models. The plastics also have a Japanese kind of a quality to them. The only exception is the current SL model. Even the current S class is made out of too much plastic. Add to this the fact that the solid steel sound has disappeared when closing the doors, and you get a car that does not feel much different from a Honda Accord. I have been told that although what meets the eye has been compromised in a lot of areas, the body structure of the Benz remains stronger than ever. We all know that perception counts for a lot and if you jump from the old S class to the current S class, you do notice a drop in material quality. After, having said all of that, sitting behind a Benz remains something special, just slightly less so. I hope the new SL will cure some of that <br> <br> Mike

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with you. I grew up with these cars. My father was a military officer, and he used to buy them (SLs, mostly) during his overseas assignments. And, in the early '70s, I sold them (Peter H. Gregg M-B in JAX, FL) while I was in law school. This weekend, I went to a local store to discuss buying the new SL. I was on the cusp of ordering one until one of their salesmen, a 35-year veteran, told me, sadly, what I could expect: A 'good car, yes; but not a Mercedes.'<br> <br> Mercedes has had change with the times to survive. Take an objective look at the C-sedan. The interior is awash in plastics. The interior door pull is a good example: It's a hollow plastic tube. I won't tell you want it reminded me of. Read the board on the E-class sedans. They say the same thing. <br> <br> I went shopping for a new SL hoping that it would be part of another era. I was told not to expect that. To be sure, the car's not junk. It's fast and (obviously) beautiful to look at, but the 'carved from a billet of steel' feel of the cars and the 'chunk' of the closing doors is gone. Gone, too, is the durability that once was the hallmark of these cars. Oh, well . . . <br> <br> <p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Bad trends of the Benz...I DO AGREE

I own a 92 SL that I can drive with my left hand, holding a cup of coffee in my right hand at over 160 miles per hour without being worried. The car doesn't move, the car is safe.<br> But the car weights 2 tons of strong metal. This SL is so heavy and so quiet, that one of my passenger once told me it seems we where in a submarine ! Yes, these are the real Benz. The interior ? like new on mine, why ? the superior quality of materials. This is what I call a Benz. My prvious one was a 300CE-24valves. Same story. Runs fast, doesn't move. Perfect interior. A real Benz.<br> Now, I took delivery last Year of my long waited CL500. Is it still a Benz ? For the interior, it's quality and its design, Yes it is. For its exterior design, yes it is. But for the way it handles at high speed, and for its weight, I say NO, it's not a Benz anymore. With the size of that car, the weight should be 2.5 to 3 tons. The doors are so light, the trunk looks like it's going to colapse each time I close it. NO I'm not excited by this latest Mercedes. Not excited at all. I happen to sit into the new C class at a dealership. It's so disappointing, if you compare it to the old version (Years 90's). I agree, Mercedes is going down on quality, not because of Chrysler, but driven by the profit-stock price concerns. However, they are still Nr. 1 on new technologies.<br> I'm impatient to see how the new SL is made to see what the future quality trend will be.<p>dialup-65.56.154.204.Dial1.LasVegas1.Level3.net

1 - 8 of 8 Posts