Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys.
I have a noise coming from the right front (or so I think). It sounds like a classic tire with a broken belt. It's most noticeable on a cold morning, as I'm hitting the twisties while banking left. Once things warm up, it quietes to an un noticeable level. Any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Possible to rotate that tire to see if the noise goes to a different spot? If so, you can narrow it down to the tire.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Good idea. I'll swap the back two.
If it is coming from the right front, why swap the rear tires? :confused:

Just rotate the right side tires, front to rear and rear to front. If the noise moves, you know it's the tire.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not at all.
Coincidentaly I have a noise when backing up, in or out of gear. It could be suspension, or possibly insulation rubbing around the drive shaft.
I'll give it all a visual inspection, since we'll be driving to Tahoe for Thanksgiving. Nothing like high speed in the high country to sort out the problems.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update. Had a fantastic trip to the mountains. Dry roads (no chains). Didn't have to lay into the throttle like I did with the 320. What a cruiser.
The bad tire noise persists, and remained for a good fifteen minutes, after a cold departure this morning. Changed the suspect right front bearing today. I'll torque everything down manana, and test.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
You should use a clock gauge to set the wheel bearing.

without one, jack the wheel, remove the end cap. loosen the clamp, tighten the nut slowly while turning the hub till resistance is felt, back off the nut 10 minutes and that will be near enough right. replace the cap and wheel.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should use a clock gauge to set the wheel bearing.

without one, jack the wheel, remove the end cap. loosen the clamp, tighten the nut slowly while turning the hub till resistance is felt, back off the nut 10 minutes and that will be near enough right. replace the cap and wheel.
Thanks for the tip. I have a Starret that I was able to clamp on the flat of the nut, and read the deflection off of the hub. My guage was a 1/4 inch type with .001" graduations. That translated to .003mm. With the .001 to.002 recommended, I kept the deflection between the lines. ( I think I'll re-check my math:confused:) Nonetheless the noise is gone, problem solved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts