Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 C230 Sport
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some of your opinions:

I bought my car new in July with Michelin Pilot Primacys. After 3K-4K miles, the front tires got very loud and rode rough between 20-40 miles per hour. It was so bad someone got in my car and said "what the hell is wrong with your car?". I said it was just piece of crap overpriced tires and I couldn't wait to get them off.

Fast forward to today. It's finally time for new tires. I go to my trusted tire / brake store. The owner has worked on cars owned by myself and my parents for over 10 years so he can be trusted. I mentioned how the primacy's suck and I dont want to replace them. I told him my story and he looked at the tires and noticed identical treadwear on the inside third of the tread on both tires that would cause the vibration and noise.

He said he thought that was highly unusual and that the only thing he could think of is malfunctioning struts on both sides, but it's a new Mercedes so it didn't make any sense.

Is this possible? My car has never been abused, never hit any curbs, speed bumps quickly, etc....

I'm driving two hours on Sat to visit the dealer I trust (b/c my local dealer is probably the worst MB dealer in the US, but that's another story) to have a look at thsi before I put on new tires.

Any input is appreciated!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
alignment

No, I'd say it's your alignment. MB is the only car I've ever owned that doesn't show the obvious alignment problems when it's out (pulling to one side). There are probably 15 adjustment points on a Mercedes suspension, which is why the dealership charges $100 for it. My alignment was out on my old 202 after I added 17 inch wheels, and I had no idea. I burned up a set of tires inn 17k miles and had the same symptoms you did. You need to do an alignment every 10k whether you feel it pulling or not. In fact, MBUSA recommends alignment every 12 mos/12k miles, probably for this reason.

Get an alignment before doing anything else, and ALWAYS get an alignment RIGHT AFTER you install new tires on an MB.

·
Registered
02 C32, 08 C350, 00 CLK320 (sis'), 01 ML430 (gone)
1,698 Posts
uneven wear on the front tires on the w203 is normal. the problem is not with the suspension out of alignment, but rather the stock suspension design has too little camber at the stock ride height matched with MB's very aggressive caster for tight turning radius.

alignment on the w202 works because the front suspension was more complex. the w203 macpherson struts are stupidly simple and can't and when you do alignment it does very little changes = waste of money.

if you want more tire life out of your tires, get k-mac camber kit on the front and dial in some negative camber. get camber arm for the rear and dial the camber to 0. this will get you the most even wear on the tires.

no offense, but the shop telling you "bad strut" for uneven tire wear would make me think twice about bringing the car back there.

·
Registered
2011 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon
1,023 Posts
I Agree with Frank about "...no offense, but the shop telling you "bad strut" for uneven tire wear would make me think twice about bringing the car back there..." Its like telling you that you need a new battery when you get a flat tire.

·
Registered
C320 4matic
1,743 Posts
I align my car before every summer when I put on my rims to be on the safe side.

Afterwards usually comes the vacum and detail. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I Agree with Frank about "...no offense, but the shop telling you "bad strut" for uneven tire wear would make me think twice about bringing the car back there..." Its like telling you that you need a new battery when you get a flat tire.
Thirded....."we trust these guys because we've gone there for 10 years" means absolutely zero. Blind loyalty is not an indicator of quality. Kind of like, everybody knows a web designer, or a computer person, so theirs knows what they are doing and is the best....yeah right, they just know more useless information, enough to confuse their customers and make them think they know what they are talking about

·
Registered
2007 C230 Sport
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! All good information. I appreciate the help and this will help me be more familiar with the situation when I take it to the dealer to have it looked at on Saturday. In defense of the tire guy that that mentioned a bad strut, he didn't tell me that I had a bad strut, in fact he said that it was highly unlikely, but that is the only thing he has seen in the past that has caused similar wear. He only looked at it for about 30 seconds and doesn't spend a lot of time with MBs and doesn't consider himself an expert. So I took his advice (which also included taking it to someone that could make a more definitive call) :)

Thanks again for your input!!

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,126 Posts
You should've taken it to the dealer right away. Noisy tires under warranty, could be a very valid complaint.

I got a major alignment, not once, but 3 times I think, and all 4 tires replaced, but I had to raise a big stink, wrote a letter to NJ and all, since they couldn't seem to resolve it.
But you have to do it in like the 1st 3K miles or something.
or 12K...I forget.

·
Registered
02 C32, 08 C350, 00 CLK320 (sis'), 01 ML430 (gone)
1,698 Posts
You should've taken it to the dealer right away. Noisy tires under warranty, could be a very valid complaint.

I got a major alignment, not once, but 3 times I think, and all 4 tires replaced, but I had to raise a big stink, wrote a letter to NJ and all, since they couldn't seem to resolve it.
But you have to do it in like the 1st 3K miles or something.
or 12K...I forget.
you can do a FREE alignment under warranty if you complain about it. the dealer will also do alignment if they have to replace any suspension parts except the sway bars/bushings. if the problem continues then they'll keep doing it for free. But if the if you ask for alignment afterward that's not related to the original problem then you have to pay for it.

noisy tire is not a valid complaint btw. 99% of the performance tires when they are worn down they will produce more noise. some will be louder than the other brands, but they all do. if you complain about uneven wear on the tire then it would be a valid argument and force the dealership to do something to fix the problem. you may or may not be compensated for the tires tho.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts