Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
c230
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those of you that followed my threads on the ASP pulley install...the install was done by a MB mechanic and a tunershop both with a lot of expreince with MB's...at first when we opened the box...we debated weather the belt looked kind of tight...called ASP they said it was the correct size... after the install.. 4 hours later the ASP pulley began to make funny noises...then the supplied belt snapped along with the ASP pulley (cracked)....and tore apart one of my oil lines and power steering hoses...after closer inspection my tensioner was also a little bent....MB has agreed to warranty the repair...so i'm quite happy with my dealer, however when i called ASP they just brushed me off and said there is nothing they can do....and automaticlly blamed the installer, so i went to another shop (ASP dealer )in the area and asked if they could do anything for me...they told me they no longer deal with ASP because of poor service...they (shop) informed me they must of ordered about 10 pulleys for several different cars...with problems with 8.

please understand...this post is not to dis ASP but to warn other MB owners to use their own judgement and do some research before they commit to a product...i have learnt a lesson here ...and would hate to see someone in the same position...they may not be lucky like me and have such a good MB dealer to provide real customer service...

i know @#$* happens...but they (ASP) didn't even want to look at some pictures i took of the cracked pulley...i would also like to thank all members that gave me help during the install...but i think i'll leave my SL500 & E320 stock

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Sorry to hear that...

i know @#$* happens...but they (ASP) didn't even want to look at some pictures i took of the cracked pulley...i would also like to thank all members that gave me help during the install...but i think i'll leave my SL500 & E320 stock
I have been following your posts and the responses (on the other board as well). It's too bad that your experiences haven't been as positive as others.

Glad to hear that you will all get it sorted out with your MB Canada dealer though.

Good luck and please keep us updated [:)]

·
Registered
c230
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pics will be up shortly....problems with USB connection on computer...will post pics ASA...

pics will be up shortly....problems with USB connection on computer...will post pics ASAP

·
Registered
W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
1,970 Posts
Looking at YOUR pic...The Pulley is cracked at the Key way and ASP does NOT alter or Mod...

Looking at YOUR pic...The Pulley is cracked at the Key way and ASP does NOT alter or Mod the key way....That is a Defect in the Pulley(MERCEDES) ..or The Pulley was forced on the keyway (INSTALLER)...or the pulley was dropped and fractured(UNKNOWN) ...hard to say without Inspection or the results of a magna flux of the material

·
Registered
E500S4, C240; Sold ML320, '72 280SE, '67 280SL, '86 300E, '87 300SDL
383 Posts
Re: Looking at YOUR pic...The Pulley is cracked at the Key way and ASP does NOT alter or Mod

Looking at YOUR pic...The Pulley is cracked at the Key way and ASP does NOT alter or Mod the key way....That is a Defect in the Pulley(MERCEDES)...
IMHO, Regardless of where was the fault introduced, he did buy the part from them, and so they should at least take a look a it. Even if the part breaks at a location which they don't modify, ASP is the ultimate seller to the consumer a so has a responsibility on that product. It is up do them (ASP) to sort it out with their suppliers. It is like MB telling you it is not their fault your "Hella" headlamp quit. I don't know if ASP offers a warranty, but they sure are liable for selling a defective product, regardless of them offering a warranty or not. As you said it would be necessary to determine if the part was not damaged by the installer, but for the amount of fuss and bad press they get from a single product, is it really worth it to argue or ignore a customer?

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
You are assuming with your limited knowledge of what happened that the product failed on...

You are assuming with your limited knowledge of what happened that the product failed on it's own and it wasn't an installation issue. When MNG started this thread, ASP themselves where not even aware there was a problem and was not contacted, I know because I contacted them regarding this yesterday and they never heard of this. He was dealing with a dealer in Toronto. Now that ASP knows what's going on why would they care about seeing the pulley if they are making good on it anyway regardless of who's at fault. ASP has seen so many mangled keyways on unmodified factory MB pulleys that they get on exchange that they stopped taking many and returned mangled ones back to their owner as unmodifiable. This is because MB themselves has inserted pulleys wrong during the build process and I've even seen one that started cracking at the keyway but nothing we can do about it until it completely failed because MB won't warranty a maybe so we threw it out and put in the ASP pulley. I've even heard of 4 cases of broken keys when they went to replace the pulley. You're dealing with one of the least reliable cars in the world and those are the parameters all the tuners are dealing with and ASP is probably the best for honoring their warranties and not pointing fingers. Afterall, there are at least 100 people on the various MB forums that have an aftermarket pulley without a problem and most are from ASP.

·
Registered
1955 benz 220a
14 Posts
i'm sorry

hey mng... i'm sorry to hear...
i'm from toronto as well...
but grad that your benz dealer still willing to offer warrenty for your car...
if it's a vw or bmw dealer, i don't think they would.

Attachments

·
Registered
c230
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey...carlsson, NICE CAR...which part of T.O. r u from...?

·
Registered
1955 benz 220a
14 Posts
Re: hey...carlsson, NICE CAR...which part of T.O. r u from...?...

hi mike, i'm from Markham ^^
not much benz fans on the net from Toronto, sigh.
the Bimmmers have their own team/club/website here in Toronto, but WE don't... what a shame.
i guess 70% of the benz imported are sold in Toronto...

back to your bad experience... don't you affraid you will void the warrenty on your car? benz is so expensive to fix...

·
Registered
c230
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have a good relationship with my dealer...i go to a small dealer in ETOBICOKE....not tho...

i have a good relationship with my dealer...i go to a small dealer in ETOBICOKE....not those big ones at hwy 7 & kennedy...i find better service form the smaller dealers...!!! which part of MARKHAM r u from...i go up there every weekend...!

·
Registered
1955 benz 220a
14 Posts
Re: i have a good relationship with my dealer...i go to a small dealer in ETOBICOKE....not tho

i have a good relationship with my dealer...i go to a small dealer in ETOBICOKE....not those big ones at hwy 7 & kennedy...i find better service form the smaller dealers...!!! which part of MARKHAM r u from...i go up there every weekend...!
i'm in the unionville area, but gonna move down to scarborough... closer to work.
actually all benz dealer have good service...
salesman in BMW dealers are asses! i won't buy an BMW car again... and their reliability is really poor...
i use to have a 740iL with 110000 km only... whole engine need to replace, they ordered a new one from europe... grad that it still have warrenty.

GUYS! don't buy an BMW haha, when it pass 80000, many many problems come ups

1 - 13 of 13 Posts