Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1986 300E, 1985 300D
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i had a really bad thing happened the other night. I hit my oil pan when i bottomed out and it started leaking and i didn't know about it until i was almost home. It was still running fine but the oil pressure was moving up and down a lot. when i parked it, it was still leaking out out of it. i put a oil container under it to catch the oil and i think it leaked about 1 to 2 quarts of oil after that. my question is would the Motor be ok if it was driven a short amount of time with 2 or 3 quarts of oil in it? again it sounded normal and their was no difference in power or anything. I am waiting for the oil pan to come in. But i was wondering if you guys would know if my poor Diesel will be ok.

Attachments

·
Registered
300TD,C32AMG
45 Posts
First of all

Change the pan & gasket.Any bearing debris in the old one?...if not,add oil,cross your fingers and fire it up.If there are no new noise and the oil pressure behaves normally,you've lucked out.The brief oil-supply interruption didn't hurt a rod bearing....Next time your oil pressure gauge starts to "move up and down a lot",or misbehave in any way,PARK THE CAR UNTIL YOU FIND OUT WHAT"S WRONG!!!.a towing charge is way cheaper than an engine.It's also a good idea to stop and scope out your car's belly after you drag things on the ground.If you'd driven a little further or leaked a bit faster,you'd be shopping for at least a short block.[:(]

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
pick and pull should get you a good deal on a new pan.
It will probobly be fine.

pick and pull should get you a good deal on a new pan.
It will probobly be fine.
John Gregg

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
Wow! What did you hit?

Ive only bottomed out my benz once. That was on a large hump on a very poorly maintained street. The W123 body seems to have quite a bit of ground clearance.

·
Registered
1983 300Dturbodiesel
297 Posts
uh oh, my oil dial moves up and down all the time, up when i press the gas, and down when ...

uh oh, my oil dial moves up and down all the time, up when i press the gas, and down when i let it off...its been doing that since i got it, is it bad?!

·
Registered
300TD,C32AMG
45 Posts
Your engine's OK

the oil pressure should drop when it's warm and you're off the throttle.The gauge should be pegged if you're going down the road.My car's got 259K on it,has a hot idle of~1.8 Bar...pretty much normal.Do any more than breathe on the throttle and it immediately pegs the gauge.
[:)]

·
Registered
1986 300E, 1985 300D
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah I know what your talking about but mine was going up and down regardless of how my fo...

yeah I know what your talking about but mine was going up and down regardless of how my foot was in it, anyways put the new pan on today and she is running great, i guess i lucked out pretty good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.