Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes-Benz ML320
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my ml320 to a mechanic that knows mercedes for an inspection, oil change, and a couple issues. This is what he says:

Failed emissions check engine bulb out
Needs new driver side catalytic converter $920 parts $220 labor
I was hearing a noise going over bumps, needs 2 new rear springs $361 parts each $320 labor

I called a mercedes dealership to see if the converter was qualified for the recall and it's not. I've been looking for parts on ebay that are A LOT cheaper, but I was hoping you guys could point out some good, cheap parts I could find online. Also if these labor prices sound right? Thanks!

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
well here is the thing.. the shocks and springs are kind of integrated.. and your rear shocks are likely in need of replacement too.. So you may want to research suspension before you make a move there. I would deal with the cat first. I would recommend calling dedicated muffler shops and buying the part yourself (online). I bet a muffler shop can do it for $100 labor. Also the rear suspension is a bitch to do (supposedly). Has you mechanic done the rears on an ML before?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,146 Posts
The whole spring/shock coilover is available from parts.com at well under $400 apiece.
It is probably due for the whole assembly at that age. It should cut the labor down about
.7 of an hour if the mechanic is going on straight time.

It may be that he is already planning to do the entire assembly and if so the prices are
not that bad. If it is just springs then get a quote for the entire assembly to be replaced.

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes-Benz ML320
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks again for the responses! I guess I'll focus on the converter first. I found this on ebay:
Mercedes ML320 catalytic converter D/side FAST SHIPPING - eBay (item 190470433509 end time Dec-19-10 08:48:09 PST)

The mech said that this should work so I'll probably order it tomorrow. He also said it's best if I replace the upper and down O2 sensors.

pdxgrease: I think I'm going to ask him since I'll be getting a few things done by this guy and (if everything is good) stay with him, maybe he can give me a deal for an overall labor price. He seems knowledged in the MLs when it comes to the suspension.

noodles: When I went to pick it up I showed him an ad of just springs and he said OEM comes with both, and that is the $361 for shocks and springs, and it's best if I replaced both shocks and springs - so he quoted me for both for labor. Is this $400 for everything or each? Would you mind providing a link?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,146 Posts
He is right on the money if it is the shock and spring. Then the labor is not really
out of line. To do it right it really is a 1.5 to 2 hour job per side. Sounds like a good
mechanic you have there.

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes-Benz ML320
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah he does seem reasonable. The main thing I'm worried about now is finding the correct parts at the best price.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
453 Posts
Yeah he does seem reasonable. The main thing I'm worried about now is finding the correct parts at the best price.
donz,
can you please let us know later how good that aftermarket converter worked out? I have ocasional rattle noise from the same one and I may purchase one if your mechanic thinks that it was worth it $330.
Thanks in advance,
Bernard

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes-Benz ML320
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After I ordered it, I called meineke because I did more research and people told me to just take it to a muffler shop. They quoted me only $380 for parts and labor! So I quickly canceled the order and took it to meineke, I haven't heard any rattles or anything.

·
Registered
2000 ML55
565 Posts
$10 says your Meineke put an aftermarket Aluminized cat in there.

Factory original is stainless, which is why it lasted for more than 10 years.

Don't worry, after a few hundred rapid heat-cycles, you'll be able to hear that cat rattling juuuust fine...

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
@loud - i think he was buying an aftermarket cat off ebay... so he actually did well considering.

ahem.. who said to call local muffler shops? :D

·
Registered
2000 ML430
6 Posts
I'm on my 3rd driver's side cat, and 2nd passenger. Drivers replaced once under recall, both replaced 2nd time on my tab, all under 100,000 miles. I was not happy. I've been driving with the bottom of the rear coil springs broke off for over 2 years. Only the last 1-2 inches or so broke. I hardly hear the little squeak over the brake squeal. Oh well, guess it is time to grease up the pads... again.

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes ML
14 Posts
I recently replace my driver's side cat, front sensors and passenger cat. I called to get assistance from dealer under recall but no luck on the driver side they helped on the passenger after I spent $2600.00 I was not happy. I also had bad shocks and coil springs which I replaced all the way around. I reasearched allot of threads on this site before I made a purchase.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts