Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
That tree must have come out of nowhere!! The weather conditions look very poor. That must have lead to the high speed crash.

:givemebeer:

Was some type of a controlled substance involved or what?

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
How fast was that at!?

Glad you're okay bmustaf!!

·
Registered
ML350 & 300CE
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the well-wishes! I appreciate it! Thinking about the 550 replacement but want to do some math about total cost of ownership esp with gas prices. Think I'd rather put more money into a loaded 350 than burning it on gas...aahhhh, things to think about :).

I probably should not discuss the particulars of this as it happened this morning, but I will say there were no controlled substances involved, not my style. Even if they were, I wouldn't announce it online! :).

There was a lot of energy involved, the road was a fast road with a commensurate speed limit.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Interested in selling the roof rack? It looks straight. Is that the only straight piece you have left? Got a tow package on there too?

·
Registered
117 Posts
God bless you came out of this in one piece!When time is right,why don't you considered the 320cdi too?Power is the same,well actually i chiped mine with Kleeman's KD box and is like a rocket,and more economical.

·
Registered
'08 S500 w/ AMG Sport Package
39 Posts
Doesn't anybody think that the front has too much deformation for what's supposed to be an immensely strong body? It's literally torn apart and disintegrated almost, as if the ML got in the way of a couple of angry elephants stomping on it. When looking at IIHS crash pictures for ML, it looks more intact, but above pictures show that little bit more speed would've affected the passenger cell for sure. Though you gotta admit IIHS is a controlled setting... but still this is just creepy...

Can't stop wondering if X5 or Q7 would've done the job any differently.

What speed were you travelling at?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Doesn't anybody think that the front has too much deformation for what's supposed to be an immensely strong body? It's literally torn apart and disintegrated almost, as if the ML got in the way of a couple of angry elephants stomping on it. When looking at IIHS crash pictures for ML, it looks more intact, but above pictures show that little bit more speed would've affected the passenger cell for sure. Though you gotta admit IIHS is a controlled setting... but still this is just creepy...

Can't stop wondering if X5 or Q7 would've done the job any differently.

What speed were you travelling at?
deformation is a good thing. it means the energy displaced from the impact is being absorbed and being kept away from the passengers.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
deformation is a good thing. it means the energy displaced from the impact is being absorbed and being kept away from the passengers.
The fact that the passenger compartment is still intact- and that there were no injuries- shows how well the design is.

·
Registered
ML350 & 300CE
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm actually a firefighter (yes, this happened in my town, so I was harassed quite a bit on-scene since Tele-Aid called it in). We see a lot of this, and the ML did wonderfully (seen much worse at slower speeds with less mechanism). Everyone there agreed.

The earlier reply was right, the deformation of the crumple zone, engine, and forward structural members (forward of the A Post) did the absolute right thing. IIHS measures deceleration forces (those are the things that lead to nasty internal injuries, etc) in addition to the obvious things like intrusion and impingement. Energy transfer (in addition to obvious trauma like broken bones and loss of blood) is what kills and injures humans in accidents. The deceleration forces were likely significantly reduced by the front end behavior. That saved the A posts from having to deform, which kept the passenger cage intact (doors still open and close just fine!).

There is significant intrusion in the passenger side, but nothing that would have killed anyone (from the looks of it, you can never tell for sure, obviously). Glad I did not have a passenger.

Soooo, by the time I hit the airbags I imagine I was not traveling at as high a speed as I would have had the front end maintained its form.

I can certainly say (and post pix towards the statement) that the passenger area was entirely intact.

I hope everyone understands that for my own sake I won't come up here put a number on what I think the speedo says right now. There's still some dust up in the air about all this, I just wanted to share how well I think the ML worked. The speed limit was obviously high enough on the road I was going to create these energies. To that end, I tend to respect the limit, I certainly do NOT drive appreciably under it as a matter of practice unless conditions warrant. As an earlier poster mentioned, conditions seemed very clear on that day. That help?

As for selling the rack, yes, I would consider it. It is totally straight, not touched at all. If I get another ML I'll keep it, but I'll have that decision made in 3-4 days I think.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Glad nobody was hurt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts